Graphics card memory type??

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
How can I be sure that GDDR2 or GDDR3 graphics card memory will work with my motherboard? I'm currently using an older mx440 64mb DDR graphics card, wanting to upgrade, and want to know what will work. I have a Chaintech 9VJL3 socket 478 motherboard. Any help is great. Thanks :D

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Are you talking about video cards or ram

For ram I havent seen any ddr3 and no your computer doesnt support ddr2 only ddr1

on graphics cards as long as its agp you should be fine.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    im talking about video cards! im pretty sure that my agp slot is 4x/8x, but i'll check. so i can get an 4x/8x agp card and it'll work? thats pretty good- thanks
    edited May 2005
    The Chaintech site says this:

Expansion Slots - One AGP slot for 4X/8XAGP
    Video Subsystem - 8X AGP

whats video subsystem?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    its a 478pin your fine it has a agp 4X or newer.

edit: you posted you have 8X :) There you go.
  • edited May 2005
    The ram on the video card is dependent upon the video card to interface with your pc, as long as the video card is right for your system (i.e.; a 4x/8x card with a 4x/8x slot) the ram on the card is of no matter to your system and if the card is incompatible with your system it won't be because of the ram type.

That's like saying "I hope the buffer ram in my new whiz-bang deluxe ATA 5000 hdd is compatible with my mobo" the ram is not interacting directly with your mobo, it's interacting with the hdd controler in the hdd itself and that's what interacts with the mobo. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    ok thanks guys!
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    If it's an AGP 4x/8x card it does not matter what type of memory the video card has on it, because the memory on the video card does not interact with the motherboard. The memory on the video is there to help the gpu process information faster which travels through the AGP bus. So yes it would work on your computer.
  • edited May 2005
    Heh, the dude that told you it wouldn't work was way off base pilot, if it's an 4x/8x card it'll work.

Give a guy a forum account and he'll post crazy stuff, give a guy his own forum, other peepz'll believe 'im.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    madmat, was i right along the lines of why it would work?
  • edited May 2005
    maximusbad wrote:
    madmat, was i right along the lines of why it would work?

Very correct man, the card takes care of the card's memory, it intereacts with the frame buffer ram by drawing the frames in memory...the GPU then outputs them to the monitor. As far as your system is concerned the video memory is only there as part of the card, other than the GPU accessing it the system cannot use that memory for anything so the type of ram on the card is meaningless. The PC has no direct access to the ram on the video card.

I've seen some issues arise with a direct incompatability with a specific video card and motherboard but it came down to assigned IRQ's by the bios and there being a conflict between what the card would work with and what the bios assigned it, it had nothing to do with the ram on the card, heh, they both had sdr if iirc. It was an older system with a TNT2 with sdram and a P3 board with pc133
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    Friends don't let friends buy ATI
    i love that quote.!!!!!