Windows Installer

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I just transfer all my files to an new hard drive. Now all my Microsoft Office 2000 Icons look like folders and when I click on them the windows installer starts. But it won't finish. I get an error message ODCOF122-1B1C-11D4-AED6-00C04F022C53 CAN NOT BE FOUND.

I have look for this file on the hard drive, I have tried to reinstall Microsoft Office but get the same error.

Any suggestions.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Did you move your entire system to a new drive, like just copy them over? or did you ghost it? You can't move program files and folders around, you have to install the applications on the new drive?

Or am I missing something. Please give us more details about what you mean by "transfer all your files to a new drive"
  • edited May 2005
    I used mapblast 3 and it transferred the files. All my other programs work as advertised. But everytime I use a microsoft office program the installer program comes up. Then it can't find the files it needs. I have tried to reinstall the office but it won't accept the start up disk for it.
  • edited May 2005
    :bawling:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You could try running the uninstallation of Office. It has the option to do a repair installation. That or deleting the Office files, the registry entries and install it again.
  • edited May 2005
    I have tried to uninstall and that does not work. I don't know all the steps to clear the registry. Deleting the files is pretty straight forward. What are the steps to clear the registry?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Download and install RegSupreme. When it opens, it'll ask you for something. Click yes (I think). Let it finish and then the list that is shown is the installed software. Run the registry cleaner (last tab) and try removing Office from the "Add/Remove menu" tab (3rd one).
  • edited May 2005
    I did this and it seems to work pretty well. When I open excel or any msoffice program the installer starts up but then stops and the program begins. This I can live with. I appreciate the help. I still have some icons which have disappeared like adobe reader. Thanks for your help
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    About a year ago I had the exact same problem you describe, except for the icon business. In my case it started spontaneously on an otherwise smoothly-running system. There is at least one other thread around here with yet another member who had the same problem.

I tried everything you have tried, including a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 2000. It finally went away as mysteriously as it appeared. the only thing I can figure is that maybe a subsequent WinXP Hotfix corrected the problem.

Even weirder, I had the same thing happen with a Logitech QuickCam. Every time I went to use it I'd get a warning that it wasn't installed. (It worked fine.) After humoring it numerous times by reinstalling the software, I finally got sick of digging out the driver disc and ignored the warning. That one went away all by itself, too.

The only thing I can think of that they'd have in common is that both tie into your email settings. (Outlook 2000, plus the email functionality of the camera software.) It's only a guess, but I'm thinking that perhaps a security patch was changing a file in the email settings, causing the programs to think they weren't properly installed.
This discussion has been closed.