Whats the best sli motherboard out/ or ever made..

xgpimpxgpimp miramar/miami
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Im needing help here everybody says dont buy a gigbyte so what should i get before i buy this= Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and AMD Athalon 64 3500+ Processor... :(:confused: :bawling: :scratch:

So whats the best SLI bored i can get ?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    The DFI Lan Party nForce 4 SLI is pretty much the one to get from everything I've heard/read. A couple of guys here have 'em and seem happy with them.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    madmat wrote:
    The DFI Lan Party nForce 4 SLI is pretty much the one to get from everything I've heard/read. A couple of guys here have 'em and seem happy with them.

yes, great MB...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Actually solo posted the Ultra-D which can be modded but you would need to find an SLI Bridge also. The best and most feature rich is the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR. Be warned that if planning to go SLI you will need to invest in a new power supply wich will set you back an extra 200 clams as not any power supply will work. These are also the new record holder for overclocking and to do so will require some good memory, preferably with samsung TCCD or Winbond VX modules. You cannot fit 2 video cards w/ the extra large HS's like the Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT asthere is not enough space between the slots to fit the massive HS.
    13-136-151-05.JPG13-136-151-02.JPG

Below is one of the vid cards that won't fit 2 but 1 is OK.

14-122-209-07.JPG
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    With these DFI boards though, would it be possible to take the chipset fan-heatsink off and put on a passive heatsink, even if you only used 1 graphics card? It doesn't look like it to me.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    I dont have any experience with this but the OCZ VX sticks can really use the extra voltage that this motherboard and this motherboard alone can provide. Like a match made in heaven.
    edited May 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    I dont have any experience with this but the OCZ VX sticks can really use the extra voltage that this motherboard and this motherboard alone can provide. Like a match made in heaven.

PeRfEcTly said, made in heaven..!! lol
    edited May 2005
    D00D wrote:
    With these DFI boards though, would it be possible to take the chipset fan-heatsink off and put on a passive heatsink, even if you only used 1 graphics card? It doesn't look like it to me.
    Not really. You really don't even need to as they are much quieter thsn the old ones on other boards. The fans don't have bearings are in a magnetic field suspension so they won't wear out either. DFI seems of thought of everything with these boards. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    oh yeah i foggot, thats a huge problem these days..lol
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    The DFI boards are sweet, but be prepared to do a lot of tweaking. They don't always work terribly well with all flavors of memory, and often require some fine tuning. Once you get it up and running, it's fantastic. If you want to extract maximum performance out of your system, look no further :D

LOTS of helpful info at www.dfi-street.com to help you get up and running if you encounter any problems.
  • edited May 2005
    Before this last week, I would have also endorsed the DFI board too, but I read over at the overclockers.com forums that some of these boards have been giving problems when using the 5v memory jumper and using VX ram at high volts. I don't remember what exactly was the problem, but the peeps were having to rma the boards as it seemed to be a permanent problem. Not all the boards are doing this though; kind of sounds like there might be some weak components on some of the boards that goes bad when feeding vdimm in the 3.3-3.8v range.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    There's a solution to the 5V instabilty problem....if you have a PSU with adj voltages (ie OCZ Powerstream etc)
    trick to get more stable vdimm on the dfi nf4!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    xgpimp wrote:
    Im needing help here everybody says dont buy a gigbyte so what should i get before i buy this= Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and AMD Athalon 64 3500+ Processor... :(:confused: :bawling: :scratch:

So whats the best SLI bored i can get ?
    If you're Overclocking...

1) DFI
    2) MSI (good but finicky)
    3) Abit/Epox/Asus

If running stock ANY of these motherboards will do.
    edited May 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Not really. You really don't even need to as they are much quieter thsn the old ones on other boards. The fans don't have bearings are in a magnetic field suspension so they won't wear out either. DFI seems of thought of everything with these boards. :thumbsup:

So, when are these fans going to debut for everything else? :scratch: I'm waiting laggy manufacturers... :shakehead

...Thinking it over and looking at some boards I think I would pick the DFI board as well, even though it is 202.50 at NewEgg :bawling:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    In my opinion heres from best to worste.
    1) DFI
    2) Asus
    3) MSI
    4) Epox
    5) Abit
    edited May 2005
    D00D wrote:
    So, when are these fans going to debut for everything else? :scratch: I'm waiting laggy manufacturers... :shakehead
    Here is just one referance to the fan design.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=6
    edited May 2005
    darn you Mtgoat, I wasted 3 hours of my life on that site! I now look like this ---> :zombie:
    edited May 2005
    D00D wrote:
    darn you Mtgoat, I wasted 3 hours of my life on that site! I now look like this ---> :zombie:
    As always, just trying to help. ;)