Cisco 837 router firewall

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Anyone here know anything about configuring the cisco 800 series routers? I've nabbed one from work, because I need to have a VPN connection to my work network, so my trusty (easy) netgear router has been retired. The only problem is the Cisco is much more complicated to setup. I have my DHCP configured, and my DSL is working fine, so the basic setup is working. I've even got port forwarding working for Bittorrent. But I'm having major problems with the firewall. Basically the web front end doesn't let you configure anything in the firewall at all. I'm under the impression that I'll have to use the IOS command line telnet thingy if I want to do any configuration of the firewall, but I don't know the first thing about using it. Anyone got any pointers? Or a link to a guide somewhere? Any help most cheerfully recieved.

Also, I did a 'shields up' scan after installing the router and all my ports are showing as 'stealthed' Is that good or bad? Surely I want them all closed?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Stealthed is good, means they aren't open or advertising as easy pickings :)

The Cisco models do require some familiarity with IOS. Go the CISCO site and download the product documentation. With this unit, it's absolutely "read the manual". Also, you should have both the standard and "enable" mode passwords. Enable or "en" mode is the mode that actually allows you to make changes to the config. If you don't have the en password, you won't be able to make changes to the configuration.

What problems are you having...?

Useful tip.....

Login using telnet by opening a cmd window and typing telnet ip_address_of_router, put the standard user name and password in and then type "show conf" (without the speech marks). That will show you the current configuration of the device :)

Thats a good place to start :)