[[DIE 56Kers! 4 800x2250+ images]] Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Gaming
INCREDIBLE SEQUEL:
The lightsabre combat system alone is worth getting this game for. I've played the demo alone probably 12 times through so far, and I always find something new, or do something worth trying again. The enemy AI is absolutely stunningly deadly on the Jedi Master setting. You really must learn how to handle the sabres and decide when to attack at this setting. Additionally, they WILL use Force powers on you, and they <b>do</b> know which ones to use at which times.

For example, laser blasts at a Dark Jedi Cultist is not simply reflected, but reflected back at YOU. Any projectile weapon you fire (Fletchette launcher, concussion rifle) is Force-pushed back at you. So you really must know when to time things, and what to use.

The AI also carries thoroughly effective weaponry and has a good aiming system (Not godlike, and not gimpy either) at the highest settings.

Expanded Lightsabre Combat:
<p align=center>-- SINGLE LIGHTSABRE --</p>

Light Stance
Medium Stance
Heavy Stance
Tavion Light Stance
Desann Heavy Stance

You can no longer alternate between light, medium, and heavy stances by the press of a key. Unlike outcast where the combat methods between light, medium, and heavy were generlised enough that one could switch, it's no longer so. Each stance is extremely unique, with its own sets of kattas and devastating strikes. Pick wisely! You'll also find the medium stance is different from Outcast's.

<p align=center>-- TWIN LIGHTSABRES (DAISHO COMBAT) --</p>

A new addition to the Jedi Knight series of games. This method only has two individual stances. One blade engaged, both blades engaged. This stance is unique because you can throw your right Sabre yet still combat with the left. This combat focuses on extremely graceful twirls of both body and blade. Dramatic to see in effect with some practice.

This form allows thrusting blades left and right if enemies are on your sides, and allows thrusting the blades forwards and backwards if enemies are on your 12 and 6. The form is also extremely potent for stabbing a fallen enemy. You're able to lunge upwards and stab both blades downwards into your force-pushed opponent.

<p align=center>-- LIGHTSTAFF --</p>

Also a new addition to the Jedi Knight series of games. This style was made famous by Darth Maul (And I expect it to be the most abused). Fortunately, it's also one of the most potent combat styles in the game in my opinion. Just like Maul, it also comes with a full repertoire of kicks by the right click button. Back, forward, right click thrusts the hilt forward to knock people back. You can kick forward, left, right, back. Do a spin-kick if enemies are surrounding you, and do a split kick if enemies are to your left and right.

Lightsabre Selection:
This time, you don't need a mod to select between single blade, double sabre, or twin-bladed lightsabres. You can select approximately 7 colors on all the lightsabres. Double lightsabres have individually configurable colors. With cheats, one may change the color of the blades on the lightstaff. I ran around with blue and yellow since Michigan won yesterday. ~Grins~ Aditionally, you may select up to ~10 different lightsabre hilts. More will be added at retail release, and surely people will release more through polycount.

Character Generation:
This time around, characters are customizable! When generating a character you can pick from ~3 heads, ~5 torsos, and ~4 legs. The color of the clothing (Or skin-color as a Twi'lek) may be changed as well. More will be added for retail, and released by the modding public.

Force Powers:
Nothing new here. However the Force Powers are actually necessary to use during the single player missions to complete the task.

Hint: Use sence.

And without further adieu: The screenshots I wasted WAY too much time with! ;D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Lightstaff continued
    edited September 2003
    Daisho Combat 1
    edited September 2003
    Daisho Combat 2
    edited September 2003
    And the Ultra-High Quality video setting!

1280x1024. I used this in conjunction with 4x FSAA and 16x AF, and it ran at around 25-40 FPS. It was most certainly playable too! I don't know how they managed to do it.

Rename to .cfg.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited September 2003
    dude..nice..

downloading now :)
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    I'll have this soon and seeing as i enjoyed JK2 i cant wait, especially after hearing about those improvements on saber combat, this combined with oh so pretty screenshots = win
    (yeah ok, not the best engine or anything but i think they look damn nice :)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited September 2003
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was quite the sequel to the "Dark Forces" and original Jedi Knight lineup of games. After thoroughly enjoying Jedi Knight II, I look forward to enjoying both the **cough** downloaded **cough** version and the retail version when it becomes available (Lucas deserves my money for this one). :D
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2003
    I've already beaten the singleplayer campaigns on both light and dark sides :ninja:
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Seems pretty good, haven't had much time to play it lately, but for some odd reason it actually crashes!! First time that has ever happened on this computer, must have something to do with the demo, prolly doesn't like my older CATs on the Softmodded 9500, I really need to get around to updating that.
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited September 2003
    does it STILL use the q3 engine? im gonna laugh if it does ;[
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    it does, it's nothing more than an expansion if you ask me. yes the added lightsaber modes are fun, but i don't see what you're so excited about as far as combat goes. my guide to killing everyone easily goes like this, use force speed, then lightning as you rush in, pwn everybody on the map. should you have to pay $50 for this glorified expansion pack, no. i love this game, i really do, but it's nothing more than an expansion pack with the dual lightsaber we all wanted so bad after watching darth maul be a bad ass with one.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    This game truely rocks. The online sabre fights are so god damn addicting :(
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2003
    kanezfan said
    it does, it's nothing more than an expansion if you ask me. yes the added lightsaber modes are fun, but i don't see what you're so excited about as far as combat goes. my guide to killing everyone easily goes like this, use force speed, then lightning as you rush in, pwn everybody on the map. should you have to pay $50 for this glorified expansion pack, no. i love this game, i really do, but it's nothing more than an expansion pack with the dual lightsaber we all wanted so bad after watching darth maul be a bad ass with one.

You'd have gotten pwned so bad in Jk2 trying that...I suspect you'll have as much success in Jk3 :)

Please try though! :ninja:
    edited September 2003
    Er. What Lawn said.

Running with speed and using force lightning means nothing when you can switch to heavy mode, pirouette, and decapitate someone. Most stints of Force Lightning don't even drain the shields, and force speed is so easy to avoid.

The added lightsabre modes are not only FUN, it adds entirely new dimension to the game. If you can't see it, I'm not going to bother explaining it. You either get it, or you don't.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2003
    I've got one word for the force lightning n00bs of the world...absorb.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    All single-player consists of is hold the fire button and maybe do a combo here and there and hope you hit and don't get hit. MP is different, but SP plain sucks. Then again, MP could use a bit of help when a lightsaber goes right through a model and does all of 3 damage. It's pure energy for god's sake.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Sounds like we're gearing up for a JK II/III inter-forum battle here.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    kanezfan said
    it does, it's nothing more than an expansion if you ask me.
    I agree. I didn't find it that amusing. Might change if a MP demo comes out.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    glad i'm not the only one. for the record i was talking about the single player game, not MP. I played JKII outcast once in multiplayer, it was an open map, everyone was using lightsabers and I kicked ass by using push on people and then running up to them and mashing the mouse button. it got boring after ten minutes and i didn't play it again. frankly if i want to play a weapons based fighting game i'll go pick up a copy of soul caliber II and play that. Are they ever gonna release a new tekken? i loved 1 and 2.

and not to put you guys or the game down, but at 28, i find myself less interested in the intricacies of the game, and more interested in the story line. I'm not saying i have a more interesting life than you, rather that i have mor important things to worry about than permutating every single slash and force power so that i can come out on top of every single jedi battle. I stand by my statements though, in single player use speed, than lightning and you'll kill oponents easily. too easy, then just refill your health. btw i have teh full version, not the demo, so trust me when i say, it gets a little repetitive.