Multi-OS mess....

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hello everybody,

I'm in trouble on a notebook when i was trying to install the 3rd OS on it (Server 2003).

The notebook originally got 2 OS. One on C:\ (OS.C) and the other on D:\ (OS.D) . Both are windows 2000. I installed the Server 2003 on another un-used partition (not yet have drive letter) that i've seen in Server 2003 installation.

After I've installed Server 2003 super smoothly , the OS.D can nerver been booted up again but OS.C can. However, all i want is to keep OS.D

The there is only 1 harddrive on the notebook. I did not backup the drive before i install Server 2003 until i recongized that i am in trouble.

Things that i've done
-boot up the system with windows 2000 bootable CD.
-login to recovery console. (cannot just run recovery on D:\ coz i do not have recovery disk)
-tried fixboot but it's still the same.
-tried fixmbr (after i've backup the whole thing with ghost), all the 3 OS cannot be access.

So ....
-I'm going to get the ghost image back the the system and try something else.....

Any sugguestion???

My goal is to make OS.D work again. OS.C can Server 2003 can be scarified. The reason is that i do not have the programs which has installed on it.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Can you be clearer on why the os on d does not boot anymore? Does it still show in the boot.ini and just can not boot into it? Not even in safe mode?

Is it not showing up in the boot.ini anymore as an option to boot into?

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    Right after the installation of Server 2003, the OS.D's boot.ini entry was gone.

Indeed, i've tried to manually adding it back with different combination that i think was right, it still doesn't show up. Indeed i've tried 3 and 4 as the partition number (last number) of the boot.ini entry still it doesn't work.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    unless you have screwed up and the OS directory is gone you fix it by using recovery console. With XP in recovery console the command is called bootcfg. I assume win2k3/win2k has it also. Type it as "bootcfg ?" to get all the option switchs displayed for ya.

One of the switchs forces it to rebuild the boot.ini by scanning your harddisk for all available OS installs. If the OS directory is still on D: it should find it.

It might be bootcfg /r but I if I were you I would do what I suggested above to get the corerct switch to force it to rebuild the boot.ini

And if you have one drive on that computer nd you want an entry for the D: drive the partition is 2. Not 3 or 4. C: is 1. D: would be 2.

Tex