Automatic start up and run application

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I've been trying to find a way to have my PC automatically
start up and run an application daily. Does anyone have
any experience with this? Windows 98 SE - Thanks.

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited May 2005
    I dont remember exactly how to do it in Win98 but in XP:

To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.

1. Open Scheduled Tasks.
    2. Double-click Add Scheduled Task.
    3. Follow the instructions in the Scheduled Task Wizard.

In 98 it might be called task scheduler.

Alternatively, u can put the shortcut to the app in the C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup folder. (i could be wrong about the exact location of the win 98 startup folder but it is in the start menu\programs folder.) and it will start when u boot the machine.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You want the machine to turn on and run the program, or just have the program run when you start the machine?
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks for the help. I'm looking to schedule a daily power on and subsequent application(s) launch. Kind of like an alarm clock - I want to have my PC power on, launch Outlook, Word, Excel and my contact management program - Maximizer, then turn on my CD player. I am sure I can tinker with some other time savers as well.

Any direction would be helpful....task manager will cover most of it - I can't seem to get an Application to do the start up. I'd connect it to my coffee maker and toaster too if I knew how to hard wire.

Thanks,
    BetterLife
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well when you create the task in task scheduler, right click on it and hit Properties. Click the Settings tab and click "Wake up computer to run this task". Theoretically it should work but I've never used it. Just incase, have the power management options enabled in the bios.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Many bios's have a setting under Power Management for a scheduled startup of the whole rig.

For the programs, I'd just do what FormFactor said. To have them run Maximized, right-click on the shortcut, left-click "Properties", then change it to Maximized" in the "Run:" box.