Mobile Athlon Socket A Motherboards

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I'm (now changing my mind again :rolleyes: , ...) thinking of putting together a mobile athlon system. So, what would you think would be the best socket a boards, both micro and ATX. Also, can the mobiles work as a dual system at all, even with some trick? My goal with this idea is to have the quietest system possible, and yet still maintain a descent mid power system, which as an added plus would be cheap cheap compared to top end systems. :)

Comments

• edited May 2005
    D00D, you can build a socket 754 system with mobile A64DTR procs for almost as cheap as a socket A system and have much better performance. I've built a couple in the last few months and they rock. Here's some price breakdowns for you.

mobo-DFI LanParty NF3 250Gb - $100
    proc-Mobile A64 3000+ DTR - $140
    ram-OCZ Value VX (2 X 512MB) - $108
    Thermalright XP-90 - $40, 92mm fan - $10

The Lanparty is a single channel board but that doesn't make much performance difference at all, especially with the DTR procs, which are Clawhammers. The DFI board also has 4 channels of SATA and onboard firewire too and even comes with rounded ide and floppy cables. All in all, a heck of a good deal. My A64 DTR I got from Newegg a couple of months ago was a CG stepping and overclocks like mad, able to hit 2700 MHz with no problem. The mobile A64's also have no IHS and are cooler running than a desktop A64; my temps run in the mid to high 30's while folding. I just got in my Value VX last week and it overclocks well, being able to run 235 MHz with 2-2-2-10 1t timings with 3.1-3.2v vdimm. The XP90 and a quiet fan will do nicely to cool that clawhammer even overclocked. I find that honking big core on those mobile clawhammers much easier to cool than even a Barton; the die is roughly double that of a Barton core die and it's easier to get a good contact patch with the hsf.

The biggest difference in price building the above system over a mobile socket A system is about $40 for the proc and about $20 on the mobo. The rest of the costs are basically the same.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    Well let me look into the comparison.

I am just 'discovering' the amazingness of the mobile bartons that it is tempting for how cheap they are. In regards to the bartons, which one/ones is/are best. I've found these two choices if I went the socket a route: FJQ4C 1.35v 2400+ 1.8ghz for $95 OR FQQ4C 1.45v 2600+ 2ghz for $95. Are these the fastest cpus for their respective stepping? I believe these are best options for this socket, correct me if I am wrong.
  • edited May 2005
    From what I've read, the most consistant high overclockers have been the mobile 2600's.
    edited May 2005
    Okay, getting back to motherboards, as that is the forum this was posted in hehe...

You would say DFI is the best for a mobile amd 64?
    And also for comparison do you have any opinions on socket a boards?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    For socket A moderate overclocking its either the Abit NF7 v2 or the DFI ultra lanparty. Both run around $100 cdn (so I'm guessing $80 US).

Google either and you'll get hundreds of reviews.
    edited May 2005
    qparadox wrote:
    moderate overclocking

Did I not say masterful overclocking? hehe
    ;D
  • edited May 2005
    For socket A boards, I agree with QP in that the NF7-S 2.0 or the DFI Lanparty boards are the 2 best overcloking boards out there.

For socket 754 boards, the only one I have actual hands-on experience with are the DFI boards and they are really sweet. Lots of features and very tunable in bios. They also have no problems booting up the DTR mobiles and they've just relased a new beta bios that updates them to run the new rev E procs (Sempron and the upcoming Turion mobiles). I've built 2 of them so far an no problems to speak of and the one I built with the CG Clawhammer I got from Newegg spanks my Winchester in overclocking.
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2006
    arrrrgh the sound output on my nf7 just died.
    I fear facing the abit warranty process.
    may be cheaper to make the lap to 64 or
    what else is good?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    see sig
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2006
    yup
    system here
    abit nf 7 v2 xp mobile 2400 at 2.6Ghz
    DDR 400 1/4 terrabyte
    audio to Crown D 75 s and acoustic research and Yamaha NS 3 speakers.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    redchief wrote:
    yup
    system here
    abit nf 7 v2 xp mobile 2400 at 2.6Ghz
    DDR 400 1/4 terrabyte
    audio to Crown D 75 s and acoustic research and Yamaha NS 3 speakers.
    redchief

If that is the system I am thinking of it is a 35W part and not a 45W.

The XP mobiles came in:
    • 2200 (45W)
    • 2200 (35W)
    • 2400 (45W)
    • 2400 (35W)
    • 2500 (45W)
    • 2600 (45W)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    IMO...the 2400+ 35w and 2600+ 45w are the best overclockers. Make sure you use a good thermalright or equivilant heatsink, since once these puppies hit >2500mhz and 1.8/1.9v its gonna put out some heat.
  • edited March 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    see sig
    See sig
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    See sig

Very nice AXP clock! what cooling/vcore are you using to hold that?
  • edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Very nice AXP clock! what cooling/vcore are you using to hold that?

Unfortunately, I takes a bit! 1.95v+ on my very low end water, I think I'd be able to get it going on a lower temp, but I am upgrading my system soon (half done already)