PC problem!! Primary IDE Channel no semi...

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I get this mesage on boot but seems to run through everything and go to windows... Primary IDE Channel no semiconductor 80 installed does anyone know what this is?? As it may be this that is causing the PC to once start up in windows to really slow down when accessing aplications or any programs!! its takes like 10mins for a browser to open!!

I have done all updates and scans etc and defrag but still no joy! The pc is an abit NF7S v2 XP2000 cpu 768mb PC2100 ram windows XP sp2, also I find the wireless Netgear adaptor to be very unstable!!

Hope someone can help please!

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Replace the ide cable with a new ata133/ata100 cable. The MB is sensing that its a 40wire (ata33) not an 80 wire (ata100) cable and probably turning off DMA on the hard drive completely.

Meaning the HD is now running at maybe 1/4 or less its rated speed.

You may of built it with the wrong cable or it may of become damaged. The damage happens much more with rounded cables.

Slap a good old fashioned 80 wire (ata100) flat cable on there and see if it goes away.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    Ah I think that may be the problem cos the cable is different...emmm...Hope this is the only problem!!
    edited May 2005
    Your message is coming from the bios not windows. Once the cable is replaced you need to go into the device manager in windows and check that dma is at level 5 or higher on the primary channel on the controller afterwards. It SHOULD fix itself but sometimes needs a little kick in the butt to get it jump started.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    ok will go home tonight and change the cables!! thank you soo much for the info!!
  • edited May 2005
    Well I changed the cable but still no luck!! :( it still comes up on the bios any idea what else it could be?
  • edited May 2005
    Can Anyone Help Please!!!
    edited May 2005
    But did you change it to a 80 wire ata100 cable? Just a differant cable doesnt help. A cable like a cdrom rom uses is only 40 wires.
  • edited May 2005
    emm how do you tell the difference if its 80 or 40? :confused:
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    Count the little wires! As Tex said, use a plain old 80 wire flat ribbon cable to test it with. If you count the individual little "bumps" across the width of the cable, it'll either be 40 or 80. You want one with 80. Hope that helps.

Also, when you hook that ribbon cable up, if it has 3 connectors on it, put the end furthest away from the other 2 connectors to the motherboard. Then, put the connector at the other end of the cable on the drive. Then boot. Good luck!

Flint