need help with network security

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi, i just bought this router Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-port Switch" and I'm about to network 2 computers with it. How can i set up to minimize virus attack and hackers? Second, can someone walk me through the steps to allow the computers to network, both computer will be using windows xp. Thirdly, this router has a NAT firewall technology, is it necessary to install third party software like zone alarm?

Thanks, much appreciate all your help.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    This should protect you from most attacks but still use a third party firewall because if your machine gets compermised you dont want the virus/worm calling home :p .

Btw: Great choice ive had one going for a year or two 0 problems :).
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Networking is real easy, once you've connected everything there's hardly anything to do in this situation (unless stuff's been changed from the defaults). Your router will have a web configuration page for anything you might want to change.

The router being there will prevent most worms from getting you, but spyware from websites and viruses from e-mails (just examples really) won't be impeded. You should run periodic spyware scans with a program like Ad-Aware and if you're worried about viruses, use an anti-virus program as well (here's a free one).

As for a personal firewall, it's not too important; if you'd like to see or control the programs accessing the Internet, though, go ahead and get one.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    biruru wrote:
    Hi, i just bought this router Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-port Switch" and I'm about to network 2 computers with it. How can i set up to minimize virus attack and hackers? Second, can someone walk me through the steps to allow the computers to network, both computer will be using windows xp. Thirdly, this router has a NAT firewall technology, is it necessary to install third party software like zone alarm?

Thanks, much appreciate all your help.

1. Make sure you anti virus software is current. No firewall in the world will stop a virus if the user does not do his part to thwart it. Safe browsing habits are advised. Dont download things with out scanning them. Stopping hackers, well most real hackers are not really looking to get into your machines. Using good password habits will really make a huge difference. Pass word your login. Use a password that is not a standard word or name. Using number and letter combos are the best and using a password over 6 characters is ideal. This goes for the router password as well. DO NOT leave at the default password.
    Disable access from the outside. Dont allow router management from outside your network. Disable replying to pings from WAN. Easiest way to find hardware on a network or find a network is to ping it.

2. Networking XP is simple. Avoid windows wizards unless you absolutely cant make it work. Make sure that the usernames and passwords are consistant on both machines or that you remember the network log on info for both machines. If you can ping it and you have rights to, you can access it. Some times accessing a machine by name can be a pain, if all else fails use the IP.

3. Set your self a decent lease time if you are using DHCP assigned addresses. You will see this in your router. I like to set my lease time to 5 days. That means every 5 days the router will assign both machines a new internal network IP address. The bummer thing about home routers is they will usually assign the machine the same IP. Higher end routers and dedicated DHCP servers can be set to rotate the IPs.

4. No you dont need zone alarm. A good anti spyware tool or 3 is a must. I use 2. I use Microsofts and adware. I never really get spyware as I dont surf sites where I could get it. Im a skeptic which really helps me avoid most sites with spyware. I also use Mozilla Firefox. I suggest you give firefox a go if you have not.
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks for all your great advice, I just don't know how to set up the machine to share dsl internet and perhaps files as well.

Can someone walk me through the process?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    fill in the pppoe settings in the router. for adsl

And for flieshareing right click on a folder-share then just type in \\ipaddresshere into the computer of the one that has the share on it :).
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    or \\computername assuming you know the name and windows knows its there... of course I guess your network would have to be fully working already, and thats never very likely :D