power problem in new appt?

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I recently moved into a new apartment and I'm having an issue with my Z5500's. basically whenever I hear the AC turn on or I turn on the fan in my room my speakers pop. I figured this was a surging problem, so I went out and bought a Belkin 375VA battery / surge protector and put everything on the battery lines. didn't solve the problem though... ideas?

if it comes down to it, I'm only living here 3 months so I'll just live with it while I'm here

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Sounds like a quick change in the voltage. I'd say you may need some sort of line conditioner. The UPS probably wouldn't help unless you have it set to be very sensitive to changes in the line. You can find devices that clean up the electricity at a place like Best Buy. I know Monster makes soem decent ones.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    good to know (and I was just kind of looking for an exuse to buy a UPS, I've needed one for awhile). My reasoning was that it had a higher threshold for surges, so I figured maybe that'd encompass the one I was having. I'll go check that out later today
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a surge. It just takes a lot of power to start the AC compressor. And that draws a lot from the circuit. That's why you hear the pop. It's not really hurting anything, just a little annoying.