I am new to this and I really want to help

edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
I have downloaded on this website the 5.03 folding package. Is this the latest and the best one? My computer is fairly good. I have an amd 2400+, 1028 mem. cosair, and soyo platinum black dragon moth. board so I hope that it will work well. I opened the downloaded package and joined team 93, is there anything else I need to do? Will it automaticlly open evey time I use my computer? THanks for the info, and it is great that people are doing this.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    Assuming you installed the graphical client (the one that puts a cog in your taskbar) then there's nothing you need to do, you're good to go!

thanks for joining the best team there is
  • edited May 2005
    Yes there is an icon in the task bar, so that is it, thanks. This really looks like a well knit community. I am glad I can be apart of it. If there is anything else I can do just let me know. There is so much information on this site it is a lot to take in and will take a while. Thanks

justin
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Welcome!

And thank you for joining us in our effort. :D

The only things I could recomend that makes a big big difference is to;
    * Turn off your screen saver
    * Disable Hibernation
    * Keep your comp running 24/7 like mosy of us do.

I hope you enjoy your stay and make yourself comfortable. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    thanks for the tip. Does it slow down if I am playing games or doing stuff? Thanks
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Welcome to the team and to our community! :D

How did you find out about us?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Folding throttles down whenever you run anything else on your PC - so you should see the same performance in games and apps that you did before. The only exception is when you get a 'big work unit' that uses more memory. In those cases it might affect game performance, but you can pause the client while you're playing your game. Then you just have to remember to unpause the client afterward! ;)
  • edited May 2005
    I typed in 'computer help' in the address bar, and bingo I saw 'short' on the list of sites. Lucky me, I found I place to read a ton of info, participate in something meaningful, and talk to people interested in the same stuff as me.
  • edited May 2005
    thanks, GHoosdum, I just wanted to make sure that gaming would not mess it up. I am an addicted gamer. thanks
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    ..... Then you just have to remember to unpause the client afterward! ;)
    That's my downfall. I all too often do something where I pause or sut dow n my folding then forgwe to start it back up again.[///DOH\\\]
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Good to meet you, Justin. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Keep an eye on the Notable Milestones Forum. Once you hit 1,000 points you'll see your name popping up there quite often. We like to give our teammates a pat on the back when they hit each new level of Folding points. :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Good to have you on the team Juston.

If you have any others questions about FAH, here is a good place to ask. Tons of info in the heads of short-medians.;)