Thermal compound to my dell 600m, how do I apply?

metomeyametomeya New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Okay so i finally cleaned my laptop cause it is running slowing than a piece of you know what

Anyways the thermal compound is coming in my mail (artic silver 5). But i went ahead to clean it anyways.

I have a Dell 600m. By the way if anyone wants to know how to move the keyboard to clean it here is the link: http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/ins600m/sm/keyboard.htm

Anyways it seem the cpu connect to the heatsink without a heatplate inbetween (i might be using the wrong terminology but i think you'll know what i'm talking about once you see the picture).

Is it okay for me to apply it right on the cpu? Is that thermal compound stuff I see on the right side of it? Can I clean that up? Is it effecting my cpu by the way?

Here are the pictures.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Scrape that black gunk off the heatsink, clean both the processor core and heatsink thoroughly, removing all old thermal compound. I'll leave this thread to one of the better cooling gurus to answer the best way to apply AS5, but the short answer is "yes" you can apply it directly to the core. :D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    I have a p3 mobile 650mhz it peaked at 95C (then the fan would kick in acording to i8k fan hack) without thermalpaste I added some cheep stuff now the fan never comes on it never goes above 50C :)
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited May 2005
    I'm just worried about cleaning the cpu, i'm worry i'll need to get rough to take it off and end up damaging it.

Also does artic silver glue it down also?
    edited May 2005
    You won't need to get rough. Wet a paper towel slightly with windex and wipe it off. The core is slick, it will come right off.

Arctic silver is not thermal paste, it will not glue it down. You will need to tighten the heatsink to the core to make a good contact.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    If you're referring to the greyish looking stuff to the right of the chip in the top photo, it looks to me as if it is the "glue" that the chip is stuck to the square pc board with and as such, DON'T try to remove it. It's just standard sloppy manufacturing but isn't any problem at all. I mean Intel could have saved $.000004 per processor if they just used a little less!!!
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    Yikes!!!

Go to any drugstore and get ISOPROPANOL 99% Alcohol. It can be found in the band-aids section. Use a cotton makeup pad to remove any heatsink gunk. If you have to scrape...use a credit card (plastic) to flick off any stuck bits.

The ISOPROPANOL evaporates completely in seconds thus no residue and no fear of fluid conductivity. Windex has water as the mix. Water and electronics = bad. If you did use Windex then leave it for 15 or so minutes to evaporate completely.
    edited May 2005
    hahah some tech I am. I've been using windex for years. :p
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    yes take that old thermal pad off with some alcohol like geeky MM said . make sure to get everthing off of the cpu as well as the heatsink. when you get the thermal paste, go ahead and stretch a plastic bag over your finger and rub some of the paste on the heatsink to fill in any small indents or scratches. then take a credit card or somekind of flat platic item and put a small dab of the paste on the cpu and spread it evenly across the die as you can, thinner is better but dont stress too much over it as long as you get paste on the entire die. as for the grey stuff, if it wont come off from just rubbing it with the cotton and alcohol than dont worry about it, shouldnt hurt anything.
  • edited May 2005
    As to the Heatspreader, don't sweat it, mobile chips don't come with them. :thumbsup:

I think Intel put them on the first P4's to keep the gorillas working on their home desktops from crushing the fragile cores whereas a laptop is hardly ever pulled apart by an end user so they're a bit more likely to keep from getting damaged.