Folding..CPU overheat..!!!

SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
edited May 2005 in Hardware
well,yesterday as i got home i realized that my PC was not on,and ofcorse my folding softeare wasnt running..i had a friend of mine check the computer and he said he checked some logs and said that my pc cut off due to overheat..well after about two hours of testing and tring to find what was going on,we finally found the problem..The the folding program from Stanford was running at the time and was using 100% of CPU..my friend is also the guy that built my 64-bit PC...well he let me know that when i was at work and while my Folding@Home software was running it overheated my pc alot..well i uninstalled the folding software and then did some basic test well after all the test we also found that my CPU usage was holding at 29 to 35%..this was no that good considering that there were no active programs that would use this much CPU..so i did a full format and reinstalled win.xp.64.i have changed around some settings and i think i changed the right setting to where my Folding@Home software would no use so much CPU....the reason i cant have it use my CPU that hard is my PC builder let me now that running this software is NOT!! safe for my CPU..for that my AMD 3000+ is overclocked so high that i could easily burn it up..well just a little info on a problem that i was having...PLEASE..any comments that you have about this could help me feel safer about running my [email]Folding@Home..THX[/email]..

P.S. i believe that there might have been some hijacking along with this problem,Well thanks for listening...SoLo
:thumbsup:

PP.S. :D I got my new OCZ DDR533 Dual Channel Memory today.. :D

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If Folding @ 100% is harmful then any program that runs 100% is harmful to your pc because you're probably clocked too high for the cooling you're using with that cpu.
    Folding@Home is used to test many systems for stability and temps. The trick is to find a safe range of temps for 100% usage. That way you know any application or game or whatever you use when it does decide to strain the cpu will be in a safe temp range.
    Looking at your specs I would guess that 2.4g should be ok you just need better cooling. How about load it up to 100% and give us some cpu and sys temps.
    Maybe your case isn't exhausting enough heat either.
    Also list your case and fan sizes and quantity and whether they exhaust or intake. Also listing the cfm would help a great deal too. And the psu.
    Also ...where you folding a gromac or tinker at the time?

The more details the better and pics would be great! :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I can tell you that your system builder doesn't sound like he knows that much about computers. Hundreds of people on this site alone run hundreds of computers 24/7/365 folding 100% of that time, perfectly stable. I run it on over 30 computers and have no heat or performance problems whatsoever. If your computer is overheating at full load, your guy didn't do a good job. Either the cooling is inadequate or it is improperly installed, or you are overclocked too high. 100% stability at 100% load is the only acceptable standard for a custom built machine, or any machine for that matter.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    Lol, gaming is no problem...i lan game every week and my cpu runs max for hours at a time..but as we cheked some logs, we found that the only thing running at the time that would use that was using the most cpu was [email]foldin@home...and[/email] it just doesnt make sence that my PC would shut down due to heat when im gaming for hours at a time my CPU stays a 95*f to 114*f....for my pc to cut off it had to hit 155*f...im going to continue to monitor my temps and logs to see what this folding is doing to my cpu..ill keep this up untill i find and reasonable cure and answer..
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    I think you have the answer in the above posts. I have an AMD 3200+ with stock cooling and it folds 24\7 and has done since march 2004 with no probs. As prime says, lots of people here do.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm folding a 3000+/400@2.4gz barton right now at 100% with 41c/105.8f temps.
    I can fold @2.5c and the temps get all the way up to 52c cpu on a really hot day. I usually only run into issues if I don't keep the air filters and heatsink clear of dust.
    edited May 2005
    Lol this guy has four or five stores that custom build pc's and he also has one LARGE gaming lan company..so i think he has some knowlage about computers....Well f-it i dont know what to say to youre comment.!!!!
    P.S. my wife bought me a 2-Gallon Lightweight air compressor that keeps my toys VERY clean..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    SoLo wrote:
    Lol this guy has four or five stores that custom build pc's and he also has one LARGE gaming lan company..so i think he has some knowlage about computers....Well f-it i dont know what to say to youre comment.!!!!
    I do know what to say to your comment. Lots of computer places will tell you anything to get you out the door and off their back. It's a lot easier than fixing the problem.

If you had a car that wobbled at 70MPH and took it back to the dealer and had them tell you to stick to 45MPH on the Interstate would you do that? Or would you insist that they make the car run right at its rated speed? :cool:
    edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I do know what to say to your comment. Lots of computer places will tell you anything to get you out the door and off their back. It's a lot easier than fixing the problem.

If you had a car that wobbled at 70MPH and took it back to the dealer and had them tell you to stick to 45MPH on the Interstate would you do that? Or would you insist that they make the car run right at its rated speed? :cool:
    this is a friend of more than 12 years..and dont consider a saleman..
    and as for the car....i would hit the interstate and do 150mph and hope a weel falls off then sue,if im still living..!p.s. i drive a 2005 H2..
    i will continue f@h but i will keep a very close eye on it and my cpu...thanks guys.!! :)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    I'm going to just go ahead and say that just because your friend owns a computer store doesn't mean he knows anything about the limits of the hardware he uses. we will all GUARANTEE you that if your system can't run folding 100% of the time, then it is overclocked TOO FAR. folding is used as a stress test, just like prime95. if you still believe that folding is somehow the only issue, go download prime95 and run the torture test. your comp should be able to run this for approximately 24 hours without error or you're OC'D TOO FAR
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    SoLo wrote:
    this is a friend of more than 12 years..and dont consider a saleman..
    and as for the car....i would hit the interstate and do 150mph and hope a weel falls off then sue,if im still living..!p.s. i drive a 2005 H2..
    i will continue f@h but i will keep a very close eye on it and my cpu...thanks guys.!! :)

2005 H2.

guys that is the answer to why he does not want to listen to our intelligent comments and reply.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    Solo,

I seem to recall a thread not to long ago where it was mentioned that smaller cases might be a little harder to keep cool. ;)

Also a couple of tidbits from other forums, (these are from memory that's why I'm not quoting.)

If it can't fold, it ain't stable!
    That's a nice rig in your sig, but can it fold?

When you are oc-ing you must keep your temps under control.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Matt,

These guys all know what they are talking about and speak the truth. The difference between gaming and folding is a lot more than you would think. Folding is 100% all the time. But when you are gaming it isn't as high, not sustained at as high of a rate of useage and certainly not for the same duration. All this adds up to heat build up. As was suggested earlier, could you please post what case it is you have along with the case fans and what HSF is on your CPU? This way we can help you try to get your temps down.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2005
    Though i'm not an expert on computers, my wife has 17 or 18 computers in her folding farm.

The slowest one is a PIII 866, which we just put together. The fastest is her P4 3.4 @3740. Most of them are intels, overclocked where possible and an XP2500+ @2315.

My Amd64 3500+ has not been overclocked yet, but that will happen. All computers are folding and all have appropriate cooling, whether it's better air or W/C to suit.

As Donut said:
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Hi Solo

If your proc. stock speed is 2.0ghz and you are running 2.4 ,that is a 20% overclock. Awesome :thumbsup: If you are running a stock HSF and cooler you will have heat problems with any app that runs 24/7 at full load. As Stated above Gaming will not stress your machine like folding will. If you want to run a high performance rig (20% OC ) You will likely need a high performance cooling solution. I have a 64 Clawhammer running at 2.5ghz and the stock cooling couldn't handle it. I got the XP-90C and a 90mm panflo and all is happy now. It dropped my temps 15C at full load. The stock fan and sink worked fine for normal computing and gaming but could not handle full load for long. If I run at stock speeds (2.2ghz ) the stock cooling worked fine, even at full load.
    I hope that helps. And thanks for being part of the team !

Scott
    edited May 2005
    Donut wrote:
    Solo,

I seem to recall a thread not to long ago where it was mentioned that smaller cases might be a little harder to keep cool. ;)

Also a couple of tidbits from other forums, (these are from memory that's why I'm not quoting.)

That's a nice rig in your sig, but can it fold?

When you are oc-ing you must keep your temps under control.

I used to test new rigs I built for myself and other people with stress tests like prime95 but now I put FAH on them and run for at least 24hrs. If all looks good after that I am confident it will run perfectly fine for what ever they plan on doing with it. Sad to say i haven't got anyone to keep FAH on it or they only power it up for short periods of time and won't ever finish a WU. :rolleyes:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    My overclocked rigs ran prime overnite, then FAH (the ultimate check).

for instance; my xeon rig,
    Windows stable @ 3.2ghz
    Gaming Ut03,HL2 demo, stable @3.07ghz (prime stable also)
    Wasn't Folding stable till I dropped to 2.9ghz.
    Now the box will take anything I throw at it! :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Folding is harder on CPU overclocks than about thing I know of in windows. Esp gromacs and double gromacs. It also heats up the CPU more than anything as well.

If its crashing while running folding it is not stable, end of story.
    edited May 2005
    UPDATE, well after reading all of youre post i decided to get a better cooling device for my cpu, rather than this stock POS.!! i just ordered ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink i think this is a good fan for i have seen it in work..i guess it is about time anywasys since i just got my new Ocz ddr533 yesterday..well i thought i was done upgrading this little pc but i guess you guys have learned me something...ill let ya know when it gets here and i get it installed...

IDEQ 210P with a modded 80mm fan on the right side...THX goat..!

P.S. since i have gotten my Ocz ddr533 we have clocked cpu at 2.5 and its been holding around 100*f to 125*f so it probly is time for that fan upgrade..
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    SoLo wrote:
    UPDATE, well after reading all of youre post i decided to get a better cooling device for my cpu, rather than this stock POS.!! i just ordered ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink i think this is a good fan for i have seen it in work..i guess it is about time anywasys since i just got my new Ocz ddr533 yesterday..well i thought i was done upgrading this little pc but i guess you guys have learned me something...ill let ya know when it gets here and i get it installed...

IDEQ 210P with a modded 80mm fan on the right side...THX goat..!

P.S. since i have gotten my Ocz ddr533 we have clocked cpu at 2.5 and its been holding around 100*f to 125*f so it probly is time for that fan upgrade..

you will be stunned and amazed at just how LARGE that zalman cooler is, but you will also be amazed at how much of a BEAST it is when it comes to cooling. good choice!
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2005
    Um, is that heatsink going to fit in that case? The Ideq210p is a small form factor case, wouldn't have thought a huge Zalman cooler would even fit in that, never mind work effectively.
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, that is one large hsf there, SoLo and I hope you can get it in that small case ok. It is a real good hsf though, from all I've read. You might have to get the dremel tool out and mod it a bit to stick it into that small case.
    edited May 2005
    Great choice!

I will link to your other thread concrening other upgrades and finish on there.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32401