wierd peripheral problem with dell 4100

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited May 2005 in Hardware
my friend has a dell 4100 with a 1ghz p3 and 256 megs o' ram. recently, her windows install decided it didn't really want to use her mouse and keyboard anymore.

So I gave it a look, and decided that windows had probably somehow borked all her drivers (especially since she said she kept getting corrupt file errors with iTunes) so I went and tried to do a repair install. Now the keyboard works in the bios and when booted off the windows CD, but the MINUTE that CD reboots the machine to work on doing all that windows reinstall crap and it brings up all those dialog boxes for setting the timezone and network and whatnot, I can't use the keyboard anymore.

Now this is a PS2 keyboard (I really don't think the mouse is the issue, but I was trying to use a USB mouse) and it's really starting to frustrate me.

I was considering removing her harddrive and shoving it in my pc, and using her peripherals for doing a repair install. This is where I encounter my second problem. Dell has used some kind of ****ed up drive cage that stands the drive on end and pins it to the front of the case, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the harddrive out of here. any suggestions?

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    bump, I need some help here (or at least suggestions on how to get the HDD out)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I think if you take off the front cover, there should be a screw holding the drive cage on.
    edited May 2005
    lol ok I'll look for that. I had the front cover off, but this girl had SO MUCH RED FUZZ that I didn't really want all in my apartment so I closed the door immediately
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    You're talking about the computer or..........

;D;D
    edited May 2005
    yeah I know I thought that after I wrote it, leave me alone :D
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    I couldn't resist!!