Cable modem lagging badly

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Subject says it all.

It's not the router at all. It's either the cable modem or the line.

I use Insight Broadband and a techie came over and looked at it. He said, "Your signal is split so many times, that's why you're lagging. I can install a signal amplifier to fix it," But that costs money.

I know the guy's BSing. The setup in our house has been the same for the past 4 months and I've just started getting serious lag since last week (my modem will suddenly drop the signal, not send for 20 seconds, then revive, really annoying when I'm playing Counterstrike). So what do you guys think? I don't see how the cable modem itself (A Motorola SURFBoard) could be the problem.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Tell the neighbors to get off bit torrent .... Or get adsl.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    lol - on the topic of dsl, I have SBC Yahoo! DSL ($19.99/month), and the tech people at SBC have personally informed me that I have one of the strongest connections in town! I live "8,000 feet away from the nearest SBC station" and I have an extrememly good signal. So this is such a good deal for me, because to go up to Cable ($49.99/month), it wouldn't be too much of a difference! I sure lucked out. :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Shorty clued me in to this site. See what the test says.
  • edited May 2005
    I'll tell you, I had cable and for months my setup worked with no issue using a "T" that I'd supplied since the guy was out of stock on 'em and I didn't want to wait another couple of days for him to come back. Suddenly one day I started getting dropped, having lag and high ping issues so I called them to fix it (I was smart and paid the extra $10 a month so any fixes were covered including an amp if needed) and it turned out it was the splice tap I'd supplied was giving the problem, dude went out to his truck and got one of their "T"'s put it in and I never had another issue.

I'd say listen to the Techie dude, he's likely seen this same issue so many times before it's pathetic.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    wow i downloaded that broadband test and here's a screenshot of my download results:

dl7jo.th.jpg