What software is best?

maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Which operating system and software is best for a htpc and also software to record with?

Comments

• Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited May 2005
    Recording music and video? Nero isn't bad. I know a lot of people are using nero. That's just going to be personal preference.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    My HTPC runs XP professional (but home will suffice!) with MediaPortal

Those two together make a solid pairing. XP has all the hardware support you need and is a solid platform. MediaPortal is free, does everything you need for HTPC and looks just like Windows Media Center :cool:

For burning, as maximus said... Nero :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    There's also MythTV is you want to try an alternative OS while you're at it.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    Shorty man you use some of the best free software around. I always look forward to when you post a link to something you are using. My boss and I were looking into "procuring" a copy of XPHTPC but all we can get from MSDN is a 180 day trial. Then you go and post the link to media portal... damn if it aint what we are looking for. When I build my htpc.. now I have the software. My boss built his and has been using xp regular to do things...

excellent... :thumbsup: