////SOLD////FS: A64 3000+ w Bent Pins (sigh)

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited June 2005 in Trading Post
FS: A64 3000+ (Winchester w Bent Pins (sigh) $55 shipped

I was running a A64 3000+ @ 2.3ghz @ HTT256 v1.55. Upon removing the Thermalright XP-90 heatsink the CPU stuck to the bottom of the "sink and as a result some pins were bent. I've striaightened several pins but for the life of me cant find the pin or pins thats preventing a full seating of the CPU :shakehead

SO if you're a CPU wizard and want a cheap A64 3000+ CPU here it is

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If I had a mobo for it, I'd definitely splurge. but since I don't, here's my guess as to the pins and a bump.
    pins.JPG 117.6K
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    SO tempted.... must resist.... Anyways, bump for a perfectly honest trader.
  • Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited May 2005
    yhpm my good man...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    If I could afford a MB for it I would definitely be on that deal.

BTW: If the lucky buyer wants to know Prof's secret trick for fixing broken pins (should the effort to straighten the bad one(s) fail dramatically) just let me know. ;)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    If I could afford a MB for it I would definitely be on that deal.

BTW: If the lucky buyer wants to know Prof's secret trick for fixing broken pins (should the effort to straighten the bad one(s) fail dramatically) just let me know. ;)
    Hey - Post it for all to know! ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If you take a credit card and put it in between the rows, you'll be able to see what ones don't line up. At least, that's my guess.
    edited May 2005
    Tried that.....
    edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    ...BTW: If the lucky buyer wants to know Prof's secret trick for fixing broken pins (should the effort to straighten the bad one(s) fail dramatically) just let me know. ;)
    Omega65 wrote:
    Hey - Post it for all to know! ;D
    If I tell you, you might decide to keep it. Then all the prospective buyers will be lining up to beat my ass. :vimp:

(PM me for details) ;)
    shwaip wrote:
    If you take a credit card and put it in between the rows, you'll be able to see what ones don't line up. At least, that's my guess.
    That's a great idea. I'm going to add that to my bag of tricks, especially now that my eyes are going bad on me... :respect:

My original post referred to a broken pin, as in not there at all. I'm half deaf from hearing the tech at the next bench over swearing at the top of his lungs when a pin he was straightening suddenly snapped completely off. Then I found a solution for the problem which involves absolutely no delicate soldering at all.

Maybe I ought to keep it to myself, though. :cool:
    edited May 2005
    You can tell - It'll be sold. I'm also (soon) selling my other 3000+, 3200+, & 3500+ to make way for my new 3800+ and upcoming X2 4400+
    edited May 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    You can tell - It'll be sold.
    It's an old trick. I'm surprised no one else brought it up:

1) Find some solid (not stranded) copper wire.

2) Strip off the insulation.

3) Cut a piece about 1/4th longer than the pin on the damaged CPU.

4) Stick it in the hole in the socket on the MB where the missing pin would be. (Don't screw this part up, or you'll regret it.)

5) Make sure it protrudes slightly - you want it to make contact with the broken pin, not have it mushroom and short the whole works out (including your MB!).

6) Cross your fingers. :)

As a footnote for this particular situation, since you can't find the bad pin it may be that it is still attached physically, just not electrically. The method I just described may still work, assuming the damage is not internal.

Important Note: I wouldn't try this if I weren't willing to lose the MB as well. There is some risk involved. This trick is worth trying in a situation like this, where a $45 MB can let you take advantage of a deal like a $200 CPU going at a quarter of its price. Don't make the mistake of doing it the other way around and risk frying a $125 MB to save a $40 CPU!
    I'm also (soon) selling my other 3000+, 3200+, & 3500+ to make way for my new 3800+ and upcoming X2 4400+
    The SMx Project might be willing to talk turkey with you about that. PM me for details. :cool:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    Omega is my new best friend, I'm definitely gonna be looking when you go to sell those :). Must get more folding power :D
  • edited June 2005
    new poster

omega, did u sell it yet? if not, how many pins are bent? are some of em touching each other? can u point out which ones in the pic? its kinda hard to tell... oh.. and are there any broken pins? i had a problem like this with my 3500+ (yikes) the pins were bent so far, that they were touching each other. luckly, i got it fixed and it works fine.. i might be interested in the 3000+ if u havent sold it yet.
    edited June 2005
    CPU was sold in May!
    edited June 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    CPU was sold in May!
    Who bought it? Did they get it working? :)
    edited June 2005
    It was sold on PcPerspective Forums (Old AMDMB) and they straightened a few pins and then just mashed it on in there and VOILA It worked! :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2005
    cool.. that basicly wat i did.. they looked liek i straightend them 100%, but i needed to give the cpu a little push so that the socket would straighten them out perfectly.