Samsung To Launch Flash-Based Hard Drive

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Samsung today presented a flash memory based replacement for conventional hard disk drives. The solid-state disk (SSD) uses memory chips instead of a mechanical recording system, this ensures lower power consumption and high data rates.
The company states the only reason why flash hard drives haven't been commercialized yet is the higher cost compared to conventional hard disk storage. The price of flash memory is still higher but over the years the difference will become smaller and smaller and with years SSDs will be able to compete with hard-disk storage on price, according to Samsung. Mass production of these flash-based disks will start in August.
Source: DVHardware

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Interesting. I'd get one if the price was right.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Not even fast enough for my tastes, it's slower than most drives I have ever owned. 16GB for est.$900? Screw that.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    that one super fancy shamancy pc company has been selling these for a few years. id get one if i ran a server simply because it lacks moving parts.

from what i understand, they are also pretty fast. and damn silent i bet :thumbsup: