Best out of the Bad II

Jeff34BuffJeff34Buff Lakewood, CO
edited May 2005 in Hardware
OK - I got a brand spanking new SATA Drive, read the manual followed instructions, had my boot disk, put the power on and - nothing, it still wouldn't POST. Fearing my anger and frustration would hamper my effectiveness at troubleshooting, I put the whole mess down for the night. Starting fresh the next AM I began with the beginings, reseating cards, checking connections, What does the POST do and want to do it with. Turns out it was the RAM. I was going through the sticks when it booted on the first stick I tried. They all tested good. LSS - the motherboard has four slots: A1 B1 A2 B2. None of the sticks will work, nor will the computer boot if any RAM is in those slots. Is this a fault in the MB, or can it be a software/setup issue?

In the meantime, I thought I'd try my old hard drive, just for the heck of it. The Drive That Died booted up to the recovery partition. I wonder why the tech told me it was corrupted & wouldn't read. He said I needed to bring the whole box in so they could start with the warranty work.

Any thoughts on The Dead Ram Banks (or shorting out?)?

Thanks,