new ghosting rig

pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
edited May 2005 in Hardware
i'm looking at building a new ghosting rig because the one i'm using in my shop right now is taking too long to dump or load images. For example. right now i'm dumping a 4 gig image and it's going to take close to 30 minutes. it seems like this machine is on it's last breath. So now i'm looking at some new hardware but don't know what is most relient in a ghost machine. harddrive I/O? memory bus? just to let you know, the current system is a p3 1ghz. with a gig of pc133. with two 200 gig drives in raid 0. So i know it's pretty out dated but has been doing it's job really well till recently. i was thinking about some 10k scsi's but i think it might be a little too loud after a while and just get on my nerves as i'm in the shop everyday for long periods of time. so i was looking at SATA. probably going to want more storage as the 200 gigs is already filled. but yeah just curious on what is ghost most relient on to run well. one more thing my network is already a gig eth network so i don't think that is the bottleneck. thanks

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    change to acronis. I can image 300gig drives in 8min.

if your business relies on this machine... Redundancy should be at the top of your list of important things.

3 ghz
    2 gig ram
    dual nics gigabit
    4 300 sata maxtor maxline3 with NCQ
    raid 5
    3ware 8006-4 sata controller.
    mobo proc ram type is up to you.
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited May 2005
    yeah those specs are what i was looking at. i work for a college and my shop is responsible for getting all the employees there new computers desktops (around 400 this summer) and laptops (around 300) imaged and ready to go. And throughout the year, we are rolling out new images with new updates and pushing them to whichever computer needs them. this is not including classrooms, so it is a large part of my job besides the normal tech work.

I wanted to use acronis, but unfortunately the school just purchased licenses for norton ghost 9 so i will have to use that. I have played with acronis and tested it, but could not produce the report that would persuade them to switch over in time. hopefully next year i can get that worked on.

3mware, never used them before. i was thinking about using the onboard raid but i'm sure that would not be as good as an external card. i'll do some research on it. i heard raid 5 only works well with scsi? was i reading that wrong? or maybe i just misinterpreted something. any more help would be great :thumbsup: