nForce 4 NF4 RAID solution (install windows with nforce 4 RAID drivers)

2»

Comments

• edited April 2007
    OK...I had the same installation problems using nforce 4 and nvraid-0 setup...The floppy installs would eventually error saying try another disk etc...

So I enabled "ALL" SATA PORTS in the bios menu. But I still only had RAID enabled for ports 1 and 2 because thats what I have my 2 HDD's attached to.

AND IT WORKS ! F6 install proceeds as described and all seems "A-O-K" using this method.

I guess you need to have all SATA PORTS enabled in bios to utilize F6 install precedure for alternate storage raid class controler driver.

Hope this helps ! :cool2:
  • edited June 2007
    Hiya, another Raiding newb here.

Ok So ive looked at alot of these posts and I see noone with my particular question.

Here we go. Ive got an gygabit NVIDIA nforce4 and 2 320gb seagate raid2 drives. Ive got windowsXP sp2 all curently up-to-date and installed on another 60gb IDE drive...Ive got lotsa stuff I dont feel like re-installing on this drive (its my workmachine and I got work to do). But it being my workmachine its full... so i need more space. Hence the new raid drives. So my bios sees the raids fine and evreything is endabled im trying for a raid0 for more space. The raid utility sees evreything fine. with evreything plugged in and enabled Windows sees the drives and does the regulare hardware wizard... All the drivers EXCEPT the last one install fine...This one last raid driver is being a jerk, and windows is being equally jerky by not seeing my raid drive(s).

im using these drivers:
    nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66 from the nvidia site.

Im about to try the stand alone drivers 5.34 just to see if those work.
    Basically I really dont want to have to re-install evreything to my raid drives just to get my raid working. Im fine with XP on a slower IDE drive...

So if anyone can help me get me running, I'd be a happy camper.

---MF
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Hiya, another Raiding newb here.

Ok So ive looked at alot of these posts and I see noone with my particular question.

Here we go. Ive got an gygabit NVIDIA nforce4 and 2 320gb seagate raid2 drives. Ive got windowsXP sp2 all curently up-to-date and installed on another 60gb IDE drive...Ive got lotsa stuff I dont feel like re-installing on this drive (its my workmachine and I got work to do). But it being my workmachine its full... so i need more space. Hence the new raid drives. So my bios sees the raids fine and evreything is endabled im trying for a raid0 for more space. The raid utility sees evreything fine. with evreything plugged in and enabled Windows sees the drives and does the regulare hardware wizard... All the drivers EXCEPT the last one install fine...This one last raid driver is being a jerk, and windows is being equally jerky by not seeing my raid drive(s).

im using these drivers:
    nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66 from the nvidia site.

Im about to try the stand alone drivers 5.34 just to see if those work.
    Basically I really dont want to have to re-install evreything to my raid drives just to get my raid working. Im fine with XP on a slower IDE drive...

So if anyone can help me get me running, I'd be a happy camper.

---MF

I had raid twice on my Epox Nforce4, and I had to format a few times due to moronic gestures of ex-friends, and I never had to rebuild my raid, but I was using striping. I never had to fight windows to see my raid. Right now, I've got an eight-hundred, thirty gigabyte raid in striping. I've had it for three formats. I never had a problem.

EDIT:// But I also remember not having them powered while formatting, since I don't want XP to make them boot-dependent. So I guess that was my secret.
  • edited June 2007
    yeah... but I dont want to reformat. Ive been going around in circles with the hardware wizard and NVIDIAs forums are not helpful either. I would even have to dig up an old floppy drive for the F6 method. All the devices show up in the hardware manager...

SCSI/RAID controller--fine
    ! unknown device--- ??

Evreytime I try a new set of NForce drivers it sees evreything after the reboot and then the wizard tells me:

NVIDIA nforce(tm) RAID Class Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device the installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can acess it.

The kicker is that it sees what kind of device it is and starts to install... it gets almost all the way through (files are transfering..ect..) then gives me that mess.

It would seem that theres just one small problem with the driver... It doesnt work.

Ok well not that small.
    ---MF
  • edited June 2007
    By gosh I think ive done it.

After rooting around on some Nvidia forums I found a link to the newest 6.86 drivers....

Using the typical install sheild then going into my device manager and updated the driver to the new 6.86 driver. (Its funny all my searching found 3 sets of drivers) The proper driver (for me) was in the NVIDIA/nforceWin2kxp/6.86/IDE/WinXP/sataraid folder.

Point the hardware wizard at that then it should install fine. Then I needed to go into my storage section of the computer management and set up the drive there (I reformated to NTFS the even though they are empty) just to be safe.

So now my windows explorer sees the drive... im happy.

----mf