XP installation problems with M825G

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I have just built a system with the M825G with a new drive (80GB) and 512MB of RAM, CD/DVD reader. Planned on initially using on-board video. During installation of XP home (during the installation of drivers) the blue screen of death occurred. Error codes were 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x84ECD630, 0x84ECD7A4, 0x805FA7A8). It mentioned possible memory caching problems, so I went into the bios and disabled that option. The installation still failed with the same error codes. At a loss as to where to proceed.

Thanks
ljacks2

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    ljacks2

First do you have 2 x 256 MB of RAM or 1 x 512 MB of RAM?

The reason is as follows. Download Memtest 86. It extracts to a bootable floppy which you boot your system on. If you have a single 512 MB stick of RAM the program will run and diagnose your memory to see if it is faulty.

If you have 2 x 256 MB of RAM...pulll one stick and run Memtest. If it comes up clear then pull that stick and put the other back in and run Memtest on that stick.

Now if everything comes up error-free then you could possibly have memory incompatibility issues. It can happen and if you have any other stick of RAM around...try that to confirm.

Secondly reset the bios back to safe defaults and possibly try clearing the CMOS. Refer to your motherboard manual where the CMOS jumper is. You will have to reset time and date.

Lastly. Make sure the memory is seated correctly and all your peripheral cards and cables. Just a double check to make sure everything is plugged in properly. That has caught me once or twice where a cable "looks" like it is plugged in but isn't.

Hope this helps. :)
  • edited May 2005
    ljacks2 wrote:
    I have just built a system with the M825G with a new drive (80GB) and 512MB of RAM, CD/DVD reader. Planned on initially using on-board video. During installation of XP home (during the installation of drivers) the blue screen of death occurred. Error codes were 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x84ECD630, 0x84ECD7A4, 0x805FA7A8). It mentioned possible memory caching problems, so I went into the bios and disabled that option. The installation still failed with the same error codes. At a loss as to where to proceed.

Thanks
    ljacks2
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    ...MM gave you a suggestion. Quoting your original post without adding information is really helpful
  • edited May 2005
    The memory checked out fine. I even moved some other PC3200 (one 512MB stick) from another system and received the the same error. I traded the PC3200 for some PC2700 (since it is the fastest certified to work with motherboard) and the same error showed up. I did make sure the CDROM was on IDE2 port instead of IDE1, it did not make a difference. The trick appeared to be changing the harddrive from CS (cable select) to MA (Master). There was no other device on this IDE1 cable, so I thought it would work fine in the CS mode. The drive could be seen in the BIOS setup as the master so I assumed there would not be any problems (ha, ha). The operating system (XP home) loaded up after the jumper switch and the system is up and going. I did not go back and try the faster RAM yet and probably will not because my kid is tired of waiting. Hope this helps someone else.