constructing a new computer

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I was just wondering what type of computer people would put together if they had the money to burn. I am not talking a machine with everthing, but a machine that a gamer will appreciate who does not overclock :) . More importantly, a machine that will be good well into the future, i.e. so I do not have to buy another in a year. When I say machine, I mean the whole computer, mb, cp, video card, memory, sound card, case, power source, and why you would choose those things, i.e. they perform the best or they are worth it...

Thanks I am really interested to see what people will have to offer.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    if it were me, I would wait for dual core. the main reason I value my current P4 over a top end athlon is the ability to multitask that hyperthreading allows
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    if it were me, I would wait for dual core. the main reason I value my current P4 over a top end athlon is the ability to multitask that hyperthreading allows

most current motherboards with a bios update should be able to handle a dual core processor from either camp.
  • edited May 2005
    What about amd 64fx???
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2005
    The A64FX series is overpriced in my opinion. They may be top-of-the-line but they're just not worth $800. (Price of the FX-55@newegg right now)

I'm going to build a computer soon as well. You might take a look at my thread here. mtgoat and muddocktor helped me pick out a few interesting parts.

While I would like to go dual core, I think it'd just be too expensive. I haven't built a decent computer yet that didn't have hyper-threading. I hope this computer turns out ok.
  • edited May 2005
    GR81 I checked your thread and the computer sounds good and even on the cheap side. I have a question, are there decent amd64 MoBo? how about dual ones?
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    Remember, you said price wasn't a limiting factor!
    Tyan K8WE (S2895)
    2 X 252 Opterons (dual cores later)
    2 X 6800 Ultra PCI-e in SLI
    Whatever HDD subsystem you want to screw with. Mine's in my sig!!

With the dual core Opterons, this should still be a top notch system in a year or maybe even 2, but then the suggested memory controller upgrades and socket changes will happen.

Jusy my $.02. Get out that wallet!!!

Flint :cool:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    Remember, you said price wasn't a limiting factor!
    Tyan K8WE (S2895)
    2 X 252 Opterons (dual cores later)
    2 X 6800 Ultra PCI-e in SLI
    Whatever HDD subsystem you want to screw with. Mine's in my sig!!

With the dual core Opterons, this should still be a top notch system in a year or maybe even 2, but then the suggested memory controller upgrades and socket changes will happen.

Jusy my $.02. Get out that wallet!!!

Flint :cool:
    Bingo!!!

Flintstone wins the grand prize. I couldn't beleive the reviews and especially the benchies off this set up. Absolutely flipp'n amazing. No convetional SLI set up overclocked to the hilt can even come close!!! :D
  • edited May 2005
    where is all this possible to buy? egg store? tiger direct? THanks for the perfect system too.
    edited May 2005
    I'd actually get it all at Monarch. Their prices are the same or less than the Egg and their service has been better than Newegg's for me. For example, if you elect to pay for 2 day shipping, it comes in 2 days from Monarch, but 3 days from Newegg. At least that's for me in Florida, your mileage may vary! Monarch is in Georgia, I believe so that may play. Newegg ships from warehouses in CA, NJ, and other states so it seems they can't be that consistent.

Flint
  • edited May 2005
    Flint, I checked the site and they said mid June until the Opterons there. I do have a serious question to ask. How do I say I want 2 MoBo and cpus??? More importantly do they know how to put that together?????? I don't. Any help is welcomed thanks :D:D:D:D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You don't want 2 mobos.
  • edited May 2005
    How the heck can I have two cpus, I am not up to date on this at all.
    edited May 2005
    OK, Parts list:
    1 X Tyan S2895A2NRF (K8WE)
    2 X Opteron model 252 (single core) OR 270 (or wait for 2 X 275 dual core)
    4 X PC3200 Registered ECC (DDR400) Dimms to start
    2 X eVGA GeForce 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra (budget determines this)
    1 X Big Honkin' Power Supply to run it all. Check for recommended at Tyan's web site. (personal favorite is PC Power & Cooling)

HDD system as you want it.
    edited May 2005
    Go here and read up on specs, integration, cooling, chasis's, and everything involved in setting this up.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

It really is just as easy as a single processor system, but if you haven't done that by yourself yet, I don't know if I'd tackle this. By your above question, and I don't mean to talk down to you at all, it seems that you don't know that much about your contemplated project. But, by all means have fun and you'll certainly learn something!!

Flint