FTP Server

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Well, back in Waldo, I used to run an FTP server off my computer, using no-ip.com. It was actually very, very handy, because I could grab my files from anywhere that had a computer. I've forgotten assignments several times and I used to be able to go and grab them off my FTP quick, and save my sorry ass.

We moved 6 or so months ago (holy crap... that was fast!), and I haven't been able to use my FTP since. I've tried and tried and tried to no avail. I checked on Charter's site, and they say you can't run any form of servers on their lines (Charter's pretty much all-around useless). I'm sure Earthlink said the same thing, but the fact was I could. I can't here. I think they might have packet shapers or something.

More to the point. Is there anything I can do? What's HTTP tunneling I heard about (but know nothing about)? Doesn't it disguise everything as an HTTP packet, or am I way off? Are there any other options, short of having a better memory?

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    try this program called Serve-U. I use it, and its really awesome. http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/comms/susetup.exe
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Change the port if your in Serve-U (I don't belive the windows iis can do this but I may be wrong) default port 20 change it to like 7790, But when you connect your goina have to connect like this ftp://placenamehere.com:7790. It will keep your isp from blocking it and It should work :).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Well, back in Waldo, I used to run an FTP server off my computer, using no-ip.com. It was actually very, very handy, because I could grab my files from anywhere that had a computer. I've forgotten assignments several times and I used to be able to go and grab them off my FTP quick, and save my sorry ass.

We moved 6 or so months ago (holy crap... that was fast!), and I haven't been able to use my FTP since. I've tried and tried and tried to no avail. I checked on Charter's site, and they say you can't run any form of servers on their lines (Charter's pretty much all-around useless). I'm sure Earthlink said the same thing, but the fact was I could. I can't here. I think they might have packet shapers or something.

More to the point. Is there anything I can do? What's HTTP tunneling I heard about (but know nothing about)? Doesn't it disguise everything as an HTTP packet, or am I way off? Are there any other options, short of having a better memory?

HTTPable FTP is what you want, not a pure server, but something just for you shuold not gen too much traffic. It WILL be slower than pure FTP.

Look at HTTPable FTP from (they call it trivial FTP) http://www.ibiblio.org/ for an example of how this works, analyze the ports used with a port analyzer.

As to other options, Anytime Deluxe lets you make lists of To-Dos, appointments, etcetera, and lets you print out schedules and TO-DO items if wanted. In essence, it lets you roll your own planner in several sizes. Relatively inexpensive, also. For what it does, it is a great deal. http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/ is where I got m ine first, then I updated from the publishers site for a small fee.