BIOS Doesn't detect SISI drive

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

I recently had a need to have some maintenance done on my PC, due to overheating problems with the CPU. My Tech told me the heat sink wasn’t properly seated and after re seating the CPU, he flashed the BIOS and updated it to the latest version.

I have a WD 200gb Raid HDD, which contains my OS, XP Pro. I also have 2 additional WD HDD’s, a CD Burner and a DVD Burner. Since getting my box back I am unable to access my SISI drive with my original OS. I get a Windows “Stop” message when trying to boot.

I have a GA-700N Pro 2 Mobo, however the problem appears to be that the BIOS does not detect the Raid Drive. When I boot and the BIOS detects the drives, only the two standard WD HDD’s are found, along with the CD and DVD drives.

Prior to the flash, all drives were detected.

I’ve installed XP Pro on HD-0, which I now boot to, but my SISI drive is visible in my computer. The system sees the drive, I can access most of the data, but I can’t boot to it, nor does it show up in the BIOS. I have a great many settings in the OS which I can’t get to, because I can’t access my documents on the SISI drive.

My Tech says there’s nothing wrong and there must be a fault with the drive. When I asked him why he didn’t have the same problem I’m having, he suggested he didn’t realise I had a Raid drive. Right, he couldn’t see the raid IO cables when he was playing with the CPU.

I guess my question is, how do I get the BIOS to detect the drive? I know very little about Raid systems and would have thought as long as it was plugged in, it would be detected.

I tried one the modified bios files I found on this forum, but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks in Advance,

Aussiemade

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    lets start slow.

Whats a SISI drive?

Tex
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    I was just about to ask the same thing Tex. Never heard of a SISI drive before tonight.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Taken from google
    (SISI) short increment sensitivity index; see under index.
    A test of the ability to recognize one decibel increases in intensity during a series of bursts of pure tone presented 20 dB above threshold.
    Elisabeth Amalie Eugenie, Duchess in Bavaria and Princess of Bavaria (December 24, 1837 - September 10, 1898), of the House of Wittelsbach, was Empress-Consort of Austria and Queen consort of Hungary due to her marriage to Emperor Franz Joseph. Her father was Maximilian, Duke in Bavaria, and her mother was Ludovika, Royal Princess of Bavaria; her family home was Castle Possenhofen. From an early age, she was called Sisi (or Sissi in films and novels) by family and friends.

Thats all I can find.
  • edited May 2005
    It's the drive that screams and starts running... :D
  • edited May 2005
    lol Some very good remarks there guys, and I fully deserved them. My fav was screams and runs away. :thumbsup:

I have a Western Digital WD200 00JD-00GBB0 SCSI disk.

As you may have gathered I'm not really up to speed on this stuff, which is why I thought I'd ask some people who probably know what they're talking about.

Aussie.
    edited May 2005
    we are making progress. But slowly. Why do you think its a scsi drive?

What you have is a pair of ide or sata drives I believe.

WD doesnt make any modern scsi drives I know of. However a pair of WD ide/sata drives shows under the device manager as a scsi controller if your using the onboard sata/ide raid controller on many modern motherboards.

When you say it doesnt show in the bios? You mean the physical hard drive or drives isnt showing in the raid controllers bios when you boot up?

Can you detail more along the lines of what motherboard you have and what plugged in where etc?

But let me take a wild guess here based on lots of experiance in these matters. Your tech screwed you over when he flashed the bios. because the bios for the raid controller was also upgraded in the flash and many times you have to upgrade the drivers to match the bios. And he should of done that FIRST. shutdown and then flashed.

But don't panic as we can probably get ya going. Its going to be harder cause you probably have not ever done this before.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    G'day Tex,

As detailed above, I have 3 WD HDD's, one is 200gb which is the one with my original OS and the one I used to boot to as a SCSI drive (Defined in the BIOS) and 2 80gb WD HDD's.

The 200gb drive is plugged into my Mobo, GA-700N Pro 2, with thin a red I/O cable. The other 2 HDD's are connected with standard I/O cables. Previously when I booted up, the BIOS recognised all 3 HDD's, however since the BIOS flash by the tech the BIOS only recognises the two 80gb Drives. The BIOS also defined my 200gb Drive as the Master.

The drives are jumpered correctly and nothing has changed other than the BIOS flash.

The BIOS is set so that onboard H/W serial ATA is enabled and the Serial ATA function is set to Raid. I have no desire to create a Raid Array, nor did I have the Array in place previously. I only chose the Raid option as it allowed me to have 3 HDD's, plus my CD and DVD drives. (When researching my new Mobo I was informed I needed a Raid setup for the thrid HDD because of the limitations of the Mobo's. i.e. I needed to plug one the HDD's into the Mobo as a Raid drive).

Yes, the drive is a Serial ATA drive.

The physical drive doesn't show up in the BIOS, and even if I enter the Raid setup utility, I can't set up an Array, as the utility does not detect my 200gb drive.

There are two Raid setup utilities, STA (Silicon) Raid and Giga Raid. I'm not sure if either of these Raid BIOS were Flashed. I understand what you're saying about the Raid BIOS, however both appear after the HDD detection process.

I had flashed my BIOS with one of the Advanced BIOS files I found on this Forum, but as you can gather, that didn't work.

Thanks,

Aussie
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    when the tech flashed your bios it disabled your SATA, which is what you drive is, and is why your drive isn't working. there'll be a setting somewhere in the bios, and someone with more knowledge can tell you exactly where it is
    edited May 2005
    But he is saying it no longer sees the drive in the SATA raid bios.

More likely a drive/cabling related problem.

Recheck all the cabling carefully.

And why was the machine brought to the tech originally?

tex
  • edited May 2005
    G'day TheBaron,

I've already enabled the SATA function in the BIOS and set it to Raid. That's not the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tex,

The cables are plugged in correctly. I detailed in my initial post that I can see the drive in My Computer, I can read most of the files on it, but I can't boot to it.

I asked the Tech to look at my PC because the CPU was overheating and the Mobo has built in protection, which shuts the system down. The heat sink wasn't seated properly, so the Tech re seated the heat sink and that fixed the overheating problem. He did the BIOS flash because he reackoned the updated BIOS handles CPU's better and they run cooler.

Thanks,

Aussie
    edited May 2005
    But you said you can no longer see the drive in the bios? Which makes no sense at all on being able to see it in my computer at all.

So like my original post.

Make sure you have the drivers to match the raid bios version.

Tex