I need some hole saw suggestions

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I'm working on a mod and need to make some fan holes. As I do not currently own any hole saws, I need to buy some. Well, I got to looking, so I thought I'd put together a hole saw kit for my modding needs. What I have found is:

1 60 mm hole saw
1 79 mm hole saw (figure I can sand/grind down the last little bit, IF needed)
1 92 mm hole saw
1 114 mm hole saw (ACH! no 120 available....will 114 be close enough with a little sanding/grinding?

All are Milwaukee brand saws. Anyone have anything to say here that may help w. a decision? For the mod, I'll definitely be using the 60, 80, and 120, and I figured I ought to buy the 92 just to have it.

Comments

• jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    To me having all those holesaws is a waste of money for doing one or two mods unless you intend to mod a lot of stuff.

Personally I always use a jigsaw and a Dremel for the smaller more awkward holes. just something to bare in mind.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited June 2003
    jono's hit it on the head for drillin fan holes. jigsaw and dremel will give just as good a finish as a holesaw.

Just drill a pilot hole large enough to fit the jigsaw through and cut to within 2-3mm of the width u need the hole to be and use the dremal to finish it out. best thing about this is that u don't need to really buy any hardware both a dremal and a jigsaw can usually be hired out from a local hire store, they even provide blades:)
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I recommend not a holesaw, dremel or jigsaw - go for a fly-cutter. If you buy a good enough one, it will cut anything from a 10 mm to 200mm. I mentioned them on Icrontic a while back and someone gave a link. They only cost around £10 ($16) too I think.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    And for me, it doesn't work. I always end up with a cockeyed hole. *HEH*

Between myself and some friends, I can use the holesaws for this and other projects, I don't mind buying good tools if I can use them again and they'll do the job I need them to do.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have two thoughts.. I have used both.

One is slow and easy, minimal risk. I use a manual nibbling tool. Buy a good one like a Klien. Yes it is slow but I can make holes any size and shape that I want.

For round holes. Do you know anyone with a Rotozip or similar tool? Most these will take a guide rod that can be set in a pivot point and the rotated. Sweat holes, lots of noise and chips.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I think a hole smaller than the actual size would be slightly better aesthetically, ie use a 76mm hole for a 80mm fan, since the fan fins are not actually 80mm. I dont know if this is an option, but somethign to consider.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    And cut a 114mm hole last night. I used some oil to keep things cooler, and the hole was done in like 5 minutes. I was amazed. A little buff with the Dremel and done. If you can swing the $$ and have a good strong drill (I use an 18V DeWalt cordless), i definitely recommend the Milwaukee bimetal hole saw. For what it's worth, the steel I was cutting measures .05 inches thick, compared that to another case and it was .03 inches thick.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    got pics? :fold:
    edited June 2003
    That's a dilemma...the mod I am doing is something that I want to be unique. If I post pics before it is done, I "fear" (too strong a word, you get the idea) that my unique, special, super duper one of a kind case mod will be duplicated ad infinitum before I can reveal and bask in the glory of my 1337 modding skillz. As you can tell, I MIGHT be a bit of an egomaniac. :D

Would it be acceptable for me to just post all pics when the mod is done and the PC is up and running? As it is right now, a pic of a hole is not that exciting, but it will be once the lighted fan and sweet a$$ grill is installed!!! :wow: