i bought a 9800pro last night..

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I decided it was definitely time to upadate my video card. I looked all over newegg, and picked out a nice looking 9800pro. tell me what you guys think! thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102477

p.s - if it sucks, its all GrayFox's fault. lol jp

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    :p That card is probably the best bang for your buck. And since you mainly play cs source thats better then a 6600 would have been for you.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    never had a problem with one of them, and the only real other option for the "lower end" graphics card market is a baseline 6800, which has a price premium over the 9800 pro
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    awesome! this is making me want it right now! :cool:
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited May 2005
    And if it is like my Sapphire 9800 Pro that I bought through NewEgg, the card actually uses the R360 chip, not the R350. (meaning that with a simple BIOS flash and a better cooling solution) you have an ATI 9800XT. Complete with the thermal monitoring, etc. At a much better price point than popping for the "real" XT card.

I went with the Arctic Cooling Silencer3 for about $15, and it actually keeps the video card cooler under load and clocked at the XT speeds than the original cooler did at idle.

I highly recommend the Sapphire 9800 Pro. :)
    edited May 2005
    thanks- i got the card today and its installed. I like it so far- i get about 30-40fps in CSS and thats all i've played so far. i'm going to try medal of honor pacific assualt for the first time later.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Xyphus, can you point me to a link on how to pull that off? I have a sapphire 9800 pro. How can I verify that it actually has the r360?
    edited May 2005
    Go to settings in ati tool and you will see this.

edit: also when flashing make sure to get a bios that has the same ram as yours
    http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    thanks- i got the card today and its installed. I like it so far- i get about 30-40fps in CSS and thats all i've played so far. i'm going to try medal of honor pacific assualt for the first time later.

I hope thats over and above what you were getting before, or at a higher resolution with all the pretty on.

I have a Barton 2500 1 gig ram, and a radeon 8500le 128 and I get with medium settings, 40 low end 120 highend, average about 60fps at 1024x768 on the cat 4.12 final drivers.
    edited May 2005
    He has everything but aa and af on max.
    edited May 2005
    aa and af are on max too lol :D plus, i have a celeron.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited June 2005
    Xyphus, can you point me to a link on how to pull that off? I have a sapphire 9800 pro. How can I verify that it actually has the r360?

They have links to the various BIOSes etc. in the thread. You may have to scroll for exact instructions, but it's pretty straight forward.. I think I still have the Sapphire XT BIOS and the flash utility on hand if you need me to send them to you directly.

Here's the link to the thread on Rage3D
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33762838

Basically, you will need to pull the HSF to verify 100% that you have the R360 core, but there are a few hints by examining the type of memory chips used and such..