KD7-RAID northbridge fan

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited June 2005 in Hardware
The northbridge fan was getting more noisy than normal (the noise was annoying too), so I assume that the fan was getting near failing. So what I did was unplug it. This doesn't seem to bother the computer at all, and since the KD7-RAID has two extra temp sensors (One I assume to be the northbridge and the other slightly cooler one to be the southbridge -- the other two are the CPU core diode and the diode sensor for the motherboard under the CPU), it doesn't affect the temperature of the chip either. I did buy the KD7-RAID back in Feb 03.

Should I go ahead and replace the fan or just leave it unplugged? I am planning on buying the NF7-S2G eventually though.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    just unplug it.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited May 2005
    I already did, I was just wondering if I should leave it that way.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Same mobo here, my NB fan has also been disconnected for the better part of a year with no trouble. It did something similar to earn itself the unplugging.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    I already did, I was just wondering if I should leave it that way.

Not sure what part you didnt understand dan?

YES. leave it that way

Tex
  • edited June 2005
    I had a KT7 RAID. It would shut itself down when I unplugged the fan. I got a new one at Radio Shack and some longer screws at Ace Hardware and soddered the old connector on as Radio S**t's products are always incomplete. An hour of shopping and 10 min. work.

Change it.

R.C.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Unless you OC, Dan-- then you might well want to replace fan. What I did here, since I am OCing some in a hot climate, was to replace my failing NB fan with a ThermoTake Blue Orb (that system was alarming and shutting itself down until I did that). Nice cool NB, no flakes at all. So, if you end up in a hot computer climate by unplugging your NB fan, try a Blue Orb. Coolerguys.com has them if SVC.com does not have them in stock. Yes, I've heard of AC, but the thermostat is not in my computer area in my bedroom so temp WITH AC is around 79-80 F near computers on a regular basis.