Options

No USB work at all now. Doesnt detect

edited May 2005 in Hardware
For some reason on this random day the USB quit working for everything. I did all the WIndows updates looked for ones under hardware updates. none of them worked. I dont know what is wrong :mad: what could it be???

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Unplug the devices and plug them back in if you already haven't done so, If you have reinstall the chipset drivers.
  • edited May 2005
    I've done those and doesnt work
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    My brother had the exact same problem. He thinks a static shock might've taken out all the USB ports (though I'm not sure...). He's formatted his computer, reinstalled Windows, newest everything... no go. If you figure it out, please let me know! :)
  • edited May 2005
    alright. Well I have a pci one with 2 ports that dont work as well so I guess mine isnt static shocked. I think Im ganna reformat and see.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    try going to control panel -> system -> device manager -> USB Controllers and removing them all. Then try rebooting and they should be redetected.
    edited May 2005
    entropy wrote:
    My brother had the exact same problem. He thinks a static shock might've taken out all the USB ports (though I'm not sure...). He's formatted his computer, reinstalled Windows, newest everything... no go. If you figure it out, please let me know! :)
    My sister had the same problem (I suspect she shorted it by atempting to force the connecter in upside down we got a pci usb card and its fine now.)
  • edited May 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    try going to control panel -> system -> device manager -> USB Controllers and removing them all. Then try rebooting and they should be redetected.

hmm well it doesnt have it in device manager. SO i guess it was uninstalled somehow?? I got the USB ports installed on this pc with windows update, thats what it said on the CD

EDIT

Well i tried lik 3 kinds of drivers and it doesnt work. I did a VIA, Windows Xp and some other one. still doesnt show up
  • edited May 2005
    gray and entropy, did your bro/sis have a digital camera?? I was thinking that something with my sisters camera Canon caused it. Im not quite certain but everything worked when she didnt use her cam on here.
    edited May 2005
    Nope just a mouse and keyboard.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Actually, yes. That's just around the time it happened, in fact. A Canon as well, if I'm not mistaken.

He says he installed some stupid software that came with it, rebooted, and nothing worked... weird coincidence.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I own a Canon and my USB ports work fine.. For what it's worth.
  • edited May 2005
    my sis didnt install software, just plugged in. one model is hers?