need to convert mp3 to aac

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Internet & Media
i know itunes does it, but the files end up with a .m4a extension. I want to transfer musci to my cell phone, nokia 3300, it can play mp3s and aac, but it doesn't see m4a files. I tried renaming the m4a to aac, the phone saw the file, but couldn't play it.

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
  • edited May 2005
    Try DBPoweramp Music Converter, they have codecs for converting your WMA and MP3 files to AAC, The AAC codec page is here, http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm and from there you can link over to the main page to DL the converter and WMA codecs as well.

I use it for everything. It's free as well, always a plus and you'll need to dl the latest LAME build ( I think) but I believe there's a link to it.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    tried dbpa, didn't like the way the file sounded at all after the conversion, it sucked.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If it can play mp3 also, why do you need to change it to aac? Unless the aac bitrate is very high there'll be significant loss in quality (as you found).
  • edited May 2005
    If you're using the file for a ringtone (and since it's on a phone I assume you are) it's going to sound like it's being played through a tiny speaker (which it is actually) in a bucket, so what does it really matter if the file sounds like crap on your PC?

I'd say the way the file sounded was more the fault of the codec used or the bitrate used rather than DBPA, I've converted WMA lossless files to MP3 256k 48,000hz with it several times and they've always been pretty much indistinguishable from one another.
  • edited May 2005
    JHymn would also potentially be of use. I don't have a link handy, but google should make it easy to find.
    edited May 2005
    the phone has a 64mb mmc card, i can listen to mp3 or aac files on it through headphones and it sounds really good. the only problem is that because of the firmware, I can only use up to a 128mb mmc card. I've been reading up on it and I can get the firmware flashed so it can support 1gb, even 2gb mmc cards, which I'll do eventually, but for now, AAC is smaller and I only have 64mb to play with. I'm gonna stick to mp3 for now, sounds much better.
  • edited May 2005
    Nice phone... :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    It's getting a bit old by today's standards, it's a nokia 3300, but I love it. It's got a built in FM tuner, voice recorder, and a qwerty keyboard, great for texting. I really like this thing, I'm telling you the mp3 player in this thing sounds so good. I was at Target the other day, found a $30 256mb mp3 player, marked down from $90. I bought it, returned it the next day. Whatever circuitry they used in this thing sucks. The music only sounded halfway decent with the included headphones, amd halfway decent is a generous description. On my other headphones, it sounded like crap. I don't understand why manufacturers can't make a good sounding mp3 player. this thing was also usb 1.1, so forget it.

My phone is also usb 1.1, but what am I gonna do.
  • edited May 2005
    Use a USB 2.0 card reader to put the files on the card with?