pci SiI 3112 causes audio to disappear

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I have a pci Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Controller, a AOpen AX45H-8x MAX motherboard, and I'm using the onboard sound. Normally a Western Digital (WDC WD2000JD) and a Maxtor (6Y250M0) are connected to the SiI3112.The properties page for the SiI3112 says the BIOS version is 4.2.47 and the date is 1-29-2004. The drivers are the newest according to the "Update Driver"-dialog. The AOpen Bios is also the newest (R1.02, Jul.03.2003).

If I remove the two drives (but leave the SiI3112) there are no problems. But if they are connected, then after a while (few hours/few days, it varies) absolutely all audio disappears. The only way to get it back is to reboot.

After the audio disappeares, Winamp starts to behave a bit strange too: if I click play it doesn't even start to play the file. So it seems the problem affects software directly.

I have tried moving the SiI3112 to a different pci-slot, but that didn't help (I haven't tried all the slots though).

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Go to Device Manager, in the View pulldown select "by type", then check to make sure the controler isn't shareing the same IRQ as the audio is trying to use.
  • edited May 2005
    The SiI3112 controller is using IRQ 17, together with
    - OHCI-compatible IEEE 1395-hostcontroller, and
    - Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet

Realtek AC'97 Audio is using IRQ 18 (and it's the only thing using it). There doesn't seem to be any conflicts.
  • edited October 2005
    If one of the two drives connected through the Sil-controller is being accessed a lot (eg copying a large file) then the audio nearly always dissappears.

Another possibly related problem is that if I righclick on a folder or a file in explorer then the audio cuts out a few seconds after the context menu appears. The audio returns when the menu is closed. This happens when I rightclick something on the right side in explorer, but not if I rightclick a folder in the tree on the left.

It doesn't matter which disk the folder/file is on, it happens even if the folder is on a disk that is not connected through the Sil-controller.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?