HD partitions

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I'm just wondering how I can create/rename/delete/resize hard drive partitions. Its probably a noobish question but I've never done it before and I don't want to risk screwing anything up. I think I know how but I just want to make sure its right.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    you can do all of that except resizing through Start - Control Panel - Administrative tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited May 2005
    Thanks. How can I take space from my backup partition out and add it to my main partition? I can't figure out where to change sizes.
    edited May 2005
    you can't do it without a seperate program - the winxp disk management won't let you do it. I use Partitionmagic to do stuff like that.
    edited May 2005
    Ok is that program free?

Also I viewed the help file for creating new partitions but I don't understand it.

"Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive. "

Where can I find unallocted region of a basic disk?
    edited May 2005
    Partition Magic isn't free...but someone else may know of a free product that does similar things.

If you have a new disk that has unallocated space (ie: not currently set to be part of a partition, so free space within a partition will not work), it will appear just like another partition. You can right-click the partition, click format (make sure that the partition is really not being used). Follow the prompts. This will only work with non-allocated free space. If the free space is within a currently allocated drive, it will format the entire partition, making you lose your data.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited May 2005
    i've never used it myself, but might this free program be similar to PM?

LIN
    edited May 2005
    Well all my space is set to partitions. That's the way it came.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You should get Partition Magic, you won't ever look back :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    Well all my space is set to partitions. That's the way it came.

You won't be able to resize them without a third-party solution. Just the way the windows disk manager is.
    edited June 2005
    I just resized my D:\ partition (recovery partition that came on the HD) so now I have 716.2MB of unallocated space. I tried TWICE to create a new partition called K:\ Music but it didn't work either time. Is there a minimum size I can have for a partition?

I was going to make it bigger once I got the partition made, the 716.2MB is just from the D:\, I can still make my C:\ smaller. If the problem is it's not meeting the minimum requirement for a partition size then I can fix it.
    edited June 2005
    Or should I do it through the Windows Disk Manager? If I do it through the Windows one, should I set it as primary or extended? Logical isn't an option.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2005
    the minimum size for a partition is 8mb, is the space u wanna make the K: out of part of a partition already, or is it unnallocated?
    edited June 2005
    It's unallocated.
    edited June 2005
    and the winsowa disk managment wont allow you to create a new partition out of it? it wouldnt happen to by set to dynamic disk wouold it?

//edit
    wow i must be on some good crack, windows disk managment
    edited June 2005
    I haven't tried with Windows Disk Management yet because I don't know whether or not to set it as Primary or Extended. It wont work with Partition Magic.
    edited June 2005
    you should be able to make an extended partition out of it considering your not gonna be booting from it, windows disk manager should pretty much tell you what kind it should be, it dosnt really matter which it is.
    edited June 2005
    OK, what file system should I use? NTFS or FAT32?
    edited June 2005
    NTFS allows you to set more precise securitysettings over FAT32
    edited June 2005
    ok, I got it created but I am stuck at the size being 716.8MB. I can't take space from my C:\ partition because PM says it has files being used on it (Its my main OS partition)
    edited June 2005
    How can I take space from C:\ and put it to K:\?