My 3500+ Newcastle clock.

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Hey yall. Haven't posted in a while cause I've been busy modding and getting my setup all sorted.

Have tried my first bit of overclocking...............

2.8.JPG

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Current ram, I am sure this is what is holding me back form going further. Can anyone recommend some timings?

ram.JPG

I'll post some Super PI results later on.
  • edited May 2005
    Very nice OC there, I don't have a clue as to what you need help with (sorry) but it's still impressive as hell.

How stable is it at that speed?
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks.

It is very stable within windows and some games however when playing source it tends to boot me back to windows after 10 minutes. I have then decreased FSB to 255 (just hitting 2.8ghz) and is stable as a rock.

I need help with changing ram timings. I have no idea :)
  • edited May 2005
    Have you tried boosting the vdimm? Sometimes just boosting the ram voltage will add some headroom and stability to a ram limited system (at default vdimm that is) and as to the timings with that ram I'd recommend leaving then where they are really, trying to tighten them up could cause lockups and loosening them will just slow the ram down.
  • edited May 2005
    Cool thanks. I'm pretty happy with it so far, just played an hour of Source and temp maxed out at 42 celsius.

Thanks for the help y'all. :)
  • edited May 2005
    Take a screenshot of the cpu-z screen again with the memory tab clicked on instead of the spd tab. That way you will actually see what speed and timings your ram is presently running at. The spd tab just shows what timings are programmed into the ddr spd on the sticks of ram. Here's an example for you:

BTW, great overclock on that Newcastle. :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    What's your Cooling Method? Air, Water or Phase Cooling?
  • edited May 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Take a screenshot of the cpu-z screen again with the memory tab clicked on instead of the spd tab. That way you will actually see what speed and timings your ram is presently running at. The spd tab just shows what timings are programmed into the ddr spd on the sticks of ram. Here's an example for you:

BTW, great overclock on that Newcastle. :thumbsup:

Will do when I get home.
    muddocktor wrote:
    What's your Cooling Method? Air, Water or Phase Cooling?

Refer sig :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    Very nice newcastle clock!.. Good Ol' 130nm :thumbsup:

Have you tried any long term stability testing, like prime95, OCCT, memtest86+ etc? If you can get through those apps, then you are set.

Probably my favorite stress test is HL2 DM, or even CS Source. Those games really beat down hard on your rig. I had hours and hours of prime95 stability, but HL2 DM would crash within 30 minutes if there was any doubt :)
  • edited May 2005
    I started prime95 on Sunday when I went to work but my girlfriend stopped it after about 4 hours but Source and HL2 DM work fine for hours.

CPUZ%20mem.JPG

There you go muddoktor.
  • edited June 2005
    Any ideas muddoktor? :D

Cheers.