6800 GT or Ultra

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Okay, I'm finally giving in and buying a 6800 series card to replace my loyal, but aging 9700 pro. So, my first question:

I can get a 6800 Ultra (the MSI NX6800) for £258.44 or a GT for £234.94 (an Aopen model). I'm planning on overclocking as much as I can and I understand the GTs offer more overhead, so that's looking like the better buy. But it's only £20 difference, and the ultra is probably going to run faster right? So, any advice?

second question, my motherboard doesn't have an AGP lock (it's an A64, K8T800 board), and at the moment I think my overclock is being limited by my graphics card. I can get up to about 225MHz FSB by dropping my memory divider, but after that I run into problems. Is there any way I can check if it is the graphics card that's stopping me going higher, or am I likely to have just reached the limit of my CPU? It's a 3200+ s754, and at 225MHz FSB it's running at around 2.5GHz.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You've probably reached the limit of your AGP slot. At a 6:2:1, you're approaching 75MHz on the AGP, and that's quite enough to make nearly any card cranky.. I can't think of a way to isolate the card precisely without moving your CPU to another board, though.

As for the GT/Ultra debate, I'll side with a GT every time.. It's cheaper, it usually overclocks just as much as the Ultra, and by default, there isn't much of a difference between the two.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    GT :)

You could always buy my galaxy glacier 6800GT off me :D

It's overclocked default from the factory with a double slot cooler (artic cooler) installed at factory :cool:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18509&highlight=galaxy

I would do you a smacking deal on it, only getting rid because I am going PCI express :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2005
    You sir, have private mail :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You sir, have a reply :)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    haha..
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Does this mean Shorty is going to come over to the dark side and play DFI???

bwhahahahaha!!!
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    You sir, have a reply :)

Your reply sir, has in turn elicited a reply from me.