Networking issue

gtghmgtghm New
edited June 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok, I have a situation where I can not connect to some of computers on my network via the remote desktop.

I can ping them but the remote connect won't work. It was working fine then it just stopped.

I could probably solve the problem by rebooting the machines but I don't want to if I can fix it without.

Is there a way that I can fix the problem with out rebooting the problem systems?

One of them is SM20 and I remote in to check on her but now I can't, I see she is still reporting so all must be fine but I really would like to fix this without rebooting cause I want to see how long she'll go with out a reboot... She's past 30 days now.... :)

"g"

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Try running the IPconfig tool (attached) and do a "Release All" then a "Renew All". You might have to do this on each machine, but I'd start with the ones which aren't responding first.

The tool forces Windows to reattain an IP Address without rebooting. If you click on the "More Info>>" button you'll see...more info... :D
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited May 2005
    Is this 2003? Terminal Services disables after 180? days without a license server, and remote admin is done via remote desktop like in XP pro. Just a wild guess, this has caught more than one person as it is different than past setups.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2005
    Rob wrote:
    Is this 2003?

Nope XP Pro, should have been more clear on that... :)

profdlp wrote:
    Try running the IPconfig tool (attached) and do a "Release All" then a "Renew All". You might have to do this on each machine, but I'd start with the ones which aren't responding first.

The tool forces Windows to reattain an IP Address without rebooting. If you click on the "More Info>>" button you'll see...more info... :D

I'll give that a try when I get home, thanks

"g"
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited May 2005
    If it's XP, the command line tools should work well. I'm not sure what you would want to download. But, I agree that you may want to reset your network settings. I find
    ipconfig /flushdns
    to be very usefull in general.

USAGE:
    ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
    /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
    /showclassid adapter |
    /setclassid adapter [classid] ]
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2005
    Check your power saving settings, sometimes if your PC goes to standby you can't wake it up with remote desktop, it will still respond to pings and things like that, but remote desktop will refuse to connect because the display won't wake up.