Calliing Mack......need cheap NF4 recomendation please

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
My step-son just got home with $500 worth of parts to throw in his old socket A rig and I told him to take it back as I couldn't see throwing that much cash at an old horse. And I offered to help fix him up with something more up to date. Before he left we discussed budget, video cards and A64 so I would have an idea of what to look for. He has $700 to spend on an NF4 board, xp3000+ Venice core, 1 gig of RAM and an X800XL. Here's what I was looking at;

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    Not knowing anything about the MSI or Epox, I will only ask 1 question, Will his power supply handle it? I only ask because on most "upgrades", it's the forgotten step child, if you get my drift!

Flint
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Larry,

That sounds like a great rig in my opinion. If you want to, i can test that exact memory kit on the exact same mainboard here but i know for sure, those does over 225 at 3 volts and 2,2,2,5 timings. After that, you need volts.
    That videocard is great and is ready for Crossfire as the slave in the future.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    Not knowing anything about the MSI or Epox, I will only ask 1 question, Will his power supply handle it? I only ask because on most "upgrades", it's the forgotten step child, if you get my drift!

Flint
    I am loaning him one of my good ones that will handle it with ease till he can afford a new one.
    edited May 2005
    Mack

That's great to hear!

Would we be better off upgrading the RAM to the Platinum. Is the Platinum still TCCD?
    Or what about getting the EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra board as it really looks good from here.

I may have to loan him a little cash.;)

PS
    sorry I missed your post.
    edited May 2005
    I would choose Platinum if you can afford it, but make sure you get TCCD if you do. There is no TCCD left basically, its replaced with TCC5 which is binned much tighter. The Plats rev 2 doesn't clock as high as the TCCD did.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Gah there still keeping it named as rev 2 even X_X
    Well I won't be getting that ram upgrade I was planing on.

edit: Is it atleast still 2-2-2-5 ?
    edited May 2005
    Mack

Should I get one of the boards in post #1 and which one is better? Or should i help him out with some cash to get the Epox in post #5? Or would I be better off with one of the first two boards and a Platinum kit? I could probably help him out with just one upgrade right now.

GrayFox

It is still rated @ 2-2-2-5. And by the looks of the recent reviews on NE I would say it still looks promising as people are still able to get 275+ out of it. I think if a person were to hunt for the TCCD they may still be able to find some somewhere.
    edited June 2005
    Larry, i have never seen a single benchmark from the Epox so i can't tell you for sure. But if its as good as it's NF3 sister, then i'd say go for the Epox.

The Platinum 3200 is still rated a t2,2,2,5 yes. Some still overclocks as hell, but we have now binned them much better from our side. If you want 300 fsb, the PC4800 is the way to go.
    edited June 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry,

That sounds like a great rig in my opinion. If you want to, i can test that exact memory kit on the exact same mainboard here but i know for sure, those does over 225 at 3 volts and 2,2,2,5 timings. After that, you need volts.
    That videocard is great and is ready for Crossfire as the slave in the future.
    Could you please see if you could get 250-260 out of it without going over 2.9 vdimm as long as the timings are reasonable (ie 2.5-3-4-7).? I can't find the manual on MSI's site to see what it supports for vdimm or CPU. I did see that the Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra supports 3.1 vdimm but I never cared for the +/- method of CPU voltage adjustment.
    edited June 2005
    Thats a no Larry. BH5 won't do 250 under 3.3 volts no matter timings used.
    The MSI supports 3.1 vdimm with a betabios.
    edited June 2005
    Thank You Mack.

We just ordered;

MSI K8N Neo4-F
    OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB)(TCC5)
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB PCI-Express x16

Would you be able to do a work up on this?
    Parts will be in next week.

Thanks,
    Larry
    edited June 2005
    I'll sure do. I will get on it asap. Personally, i don't have a venice, but i should be able to buy one real fast.
    edited June 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I'll sure do. I will get on it asap. Personally, i don't have a venice, but i should be able to buy one real fast.
    Cool! You da man. :thumbsup: