Anti-Static Wrist Band

RewiredRewired Member
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Howdy folks. I'm working; upgrading PCs and such; mainly adding RAM modules and video cards, etc. I always read "use an anti-static wrist band!" to dissipate any idle static that might get built up. Anyway I bought one from the local electronic store. How many folks working on hardware use one of these and how exactly do I use it? Thanks a lot for everybody’s time and opinions. :thumbsup:
STD1_F8E093.jpg

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    You might add a poll to this thread. ;)

I use one when my dad and my friend is around (they seem to think my cpu will die if I handle it without one), just to shut them up about using it. I don't think it's much of a risk to not wear one unless you're dragging your feet across a carpeted floor with wool socks on. Screw that.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I don't use one.

You basically put the strap on your wrist and connect the clip to something that's grounded.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I've never used one either, I've just touched the side of the case before grabbing anything inside.

Hardforums have a longwinded thread about the dangers of static discharges and the like, and apparently touching the side of the case falls into the "does nothing" category. Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but I haven't fried anything yet, so I'll continue to take my chances. *crosses fingers* :)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    Grounding yourself does help. Touching the PSU casing does help I beleive. I have never worn a band before, and have never had any problems.

Back in `95 I had a soundcard die mysteriously after being handled, but I'm not 100% sure if that was static or not :mullet:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    I just touch the side of my case well its pluged in then unplug it and service it. (This will help unless the computer isn't pluged in dispite the post above)

Never killed any hardware before from esd doute I ever will.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    i've never used one either, and i've been doing this for years. If you're conscientious and make sure to discharge yourself before picking anything up (touch the case when the computer is plugged in so that you discharge into the ground), you'll be okay.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Tried them, don't like it hanging on my arm. Never shorted out a system,card,ram etc by touching it either (without one on). I just remember to always touch the outside edge of the case before starting work.
    And I agree with (TheGr81) I don't think it's much of a risk to not wear one unless you're dragging your feet across a carpeted floor with wool socks on.
    I know in the wintertime here, (Fla) (Yes, We have wintertime) the static is sometimes really bad. I get shocked like crazy when I touch the car door handle getting in & out of the car. So, when I work on my sytems then, I just make sure I ground out by touching the case before touching anything inside it.
    The peticular one you have goes around your rist snug it up and clip the gatorclip to the case and continue on with work.
    Just make sure you unplug the powercord before starting work! That's sometimes overlooked, and can short out cards , ram, etc.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    My dad has been in the USPS for about 25 years.. The place he works at has over a billion dollars in electronics throughout that time. Only two devices have ever been lost to ESD.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    NiGHTS wrote:
    I've never used one either, I've just touched the side of the case before grabbing anything inside.

Same. It works, too. I've touched my case and gotten a relatively big shock, so I'm very glad I've gotten in the habit of doing that. It wasn't even plugged into the wall, either...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I never wear a band. But I do stand barefoot in a pool of water and sit my naked arse on an old cast iron radiator. :rolleyes:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    ...I do stand barefoot in a pool of water and sit my naked arse on an old cast iron radiator. :rolleyes:
    Now there's a mental picture for ya... :mullet:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Hahaha, That's good one mt.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2005
    I have a wristbaned exactly like the one pictured, I keep it in my mini-computer toolkit. I do use it sometimes here at the office when working on PC's, but more often I will just be sure to be touching the case or power supply when handling components.

Dexter...
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited June 2005
    How does touching the case dissipate the static? I don't mean to imply that it doesn't, just wondering how it works.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    Every time I've been into my computer I just unplug everything and stay grounded. The only times I've been in were once because I wanted to check something, once to put in a video card, and once to see if I could fix my broken USB drive, but I haven't had anything go wrong.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited June 2005
    How does touching the case dissipate the static? I don't mean to imply that it doesn't, just wondering how it works.

Earthing! It dissapates any electrical charge into ground
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    What I do to avoid wriststraps is this:

Either the PSU get plugged in such that it is grounded to electrical ground (ONLY ground, I made a cable for just that), or I wokr on an antistatic mat that is plugged into an outlet's ground hole (AFTER making sure the outlet tests good with an outlet wiring tester\analyzer).

Case ground, if case is in fact well bonded, and you KNOW this and touch METAL part of case, is also reasonable.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2005
    I'm a radiator man too. However I've never really had the pleasure of doing quite what MT' does. I might try it next time if my client isn't around. ;)
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited June 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    I never wear a band. But I do stand barefoot in a pool of water and sit my naked arse on an old cast iron radiator. :rolleyes:
    ;D

Simply plug the end(alligator clip) onto something that is grounded. Usually a part on the case thats metal(not painted). I use one just to be safe.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    lol since it seems that nobody uses one, I'll throw a kink in this thread. I recently bought on on eBay- I was just worried that I would be stupid and forget to touch the side of the case, and I'd bust something expensive. I got a really cheapass deal on it- $2.49 and free shipping! ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5200374442&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Same. It works, too. I've touched my case and gotten a relatively big shock, so I'm very glad I've gotten in the habit of doing that. It wasn't even plugged into the wall, either...

Ditto, but I always have it plugged in but with the switch on the socket turned off. This makes sure the case is grounded to Earth.