Gigabyte PCI Ram Card

2»

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    That board filled with those Geil sticks looks super sexy. But, that's not half as sexy as the benchmarks on that page. 0.1ms of random access time? That's beautiful.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Tex wrote:
    You would be better adding ram to your PC rather then using this for a pagefile.

Using it for pagefile ONLY would be a waist. I'd figure if I had 4GB of System Memory, and one of these with 4GB of Storage I'd use a small Pagefile on it(256MB maybe with anymore on a RAID array or something in cases like my Rendering where I might need a bunch).

I'm not an expert like you and I would take your word over mine in any case(except that I'd still want one ;D ) but I'd definitly have Windows installed on one of these since my PC is never really turned off, or.... certain games and programs.

I'd really say that having multiple of these in a RAID array would be uber sweet as well. Think of 4 of these PCI cards each with 4GB of storage all in a RAID 0 array. It's be pretty volitile in that it's a RAID 0 array using Volitile memory(despite the battery), but for a gamer that's nothing to worry about especially with GHOST. 4x4GB=16GB of uber fast storage... enough for a couple games that would load instantly. I wonder how it would effect frame rate though. Any ideas?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I think that the maximum transfer rate for the whole SATA bus is 150mb/s. So, I think just one of these would saturate it. RAIDing probably wouldn't make a difference in performance, but you could get a large logical drive that way.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Put it on a SATA 2 connection, 300MB/s. It would still saturate that. But the cards would each have their own 300MB/s worth of bandwidth. I am not sure how much the SATA controller can handle over all but the next limit could be the HT links.

RAIDing would take the stress of each individual SATA2 connection since the data would be split up across more 'drives.'
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    The next version of this card should be PCIe 4x or 8x instead of a SATA connection. Even PCIe 1x would be better (400MBps)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    Maybe in theory but it won't be coming anytime soon in real life. It's a niche market for a $50 card. PCI-E motherboards are only beginning to penetrate the markets at this time. Even fewer have more then a single PCI-e card right now as there are only a handful of non pci-e cards available that are not video cards. So we really don't need more then one pci-e slot except for gamers and such untill we get more mainstream boards.

They made a card that could fit into nearly every PC on this planet and will not be able to make much money selling these things. I bet its off the market in 24 months.

If they redesign the whole thing and made it sata II or Serial drives (gotta have a disk interface somewhere) and pci-e with twice the DDR slots and made it work with 2 and 4mb sticks, added a much bigger battery pack and shot for the workstattion market charging $2500 a pop maybe a pci-e card would be profitable.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    late august-
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the I-RAM product. I can not comment further on detailed specification since this product has not been officially announced. It will be released in late August. Please check our website for the latest news and updates.

Thank you for using Gigabyte products
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    This line is teh funnay:
    Thank you for using Gigabyte products
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    this part is good too:
    I can not comment further on detailed specification since this product has not been officially announced.

Considering my only question was when is it available.
  • edited August 2005
    Tex wrote:
    You would be better adding ram to your PC rather then using this for a pagefile.

There is a HUGE thread at kerneltrap.org about adding more RAM vs putting swap (pagefile) in RAM. Conclusion is to use the money to add more main RAM instead of swapping data. I know that Windows OS uses pagefile in a different way but nonetheless waisting this device on a swapfile would be a waste.

A good use would be a dedicated Linux system that requires a very fast boot. With 1 to 2GB memory it would be enough for the OS. I would never use it without a backup. For a server it is no-no.