confused as all hell

edited June 2005 in Hardware
forgive the ignorance.

so ive got me a bit of a problem
about two weeks ago my computer started locking up at seemingly random points. first it would stop sending a signal to the monitor and then about 2 minutes later actually go on and reboot itself. recently however, i can not seem to get past the login screen before it goes nuts again. i tried to go into safe mode, but it reboots right before it gets to the login screen. first thought was that the ram was bad, but we tested it and it was fine. any insight?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    Could actually be your powersupply. What are your system specifications?

If you have a generic 'homebrew' PC, you can usually check your voltages in the BIOS. Take note of the +12V, +5V and +3.3V readings, and let us know what they are. Keep an eye out for fluctuations too. There are more to powersupplies than just voltages however, but let us know you system specs..
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    could there possibly be a heat problem? Whern was the last time you cleaned out all the heatsinks? I remember from when i was overclocking my radeon with stock cooling =/ it got WAY too hot and it stopped sending signals.. give it a try
  • edited June 2005
    ive got me a Shuttle XPC SB51G
    P4 @ 2.4 ghz, 1024 mb pc2700, Radeon 9500 pro, nf2 board?, 40 gb western digital @ 7200 rpm, samsung dvd/cdrw

checked the voltages, they were all within normal paramaters.

i havent tried any over clocking, but the way this thing runs its Always Very hot.

its been like that since ive gotten it 2 years ago, and there werent any problems. freaky heat pipe tech.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Maybe your heatpipes died =/ I've heard of them failing....