Swapping a Hard Drive to another PC

CraifCraif Cleveland, Ohio ("round on the ends, high in the middle")
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I started to install a new 120GB hard drive into a computer (#1) that needs a Bios upgrade in order for it to work. So, instead of pursuing that hassle, I figured I would put the new hard drive in my other PC #2 that wouldn't need a Bios upgrade and just put the 20GB hard drive from that computer #2, into the older PC #1. Question - can I just take the 20GB hard drive and connect it into the older PC #1 without major consequence, and be able to see the files on it? Shouldn't it run okay and find the drivers it needs, etc. once it boots? Sounds logically to me :thumbsup: No? :wtf:

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Yes. It should work and you should be able to see your files. It shouldnt even need drivers (unless its scsi or something that isnt IDE)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You should be fine, Windows will install any new drivers for devices it sees -- like the Videocard, PCI Bridge, Monitor -- and all that wonderful junk once it finds it all. It'll kinda be like turning your computer on for the first time after a clean Windows install. Once its finished doing that, you'll be able to run the system with whatever operating system is on the 20Gig harddrive.
  • CraifCraif Cleveland, Ohio ("round on the ends, high in the middle")
    edited June 2005
    Hey thanks! I figured I was okay. You da man, er, men! :cool:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I have only had trouble when I moved a hdd between machines that used different brands of mobo chipsets.
    That can even usually be fixed by loading the new chipset driver, and maybe a windows repair.
    Give it a try. Nothing will smoke because of it.