Computer not powering up..

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I'm trying to fix this computer. Its an older computer, AMD (not sure what speed) but we've switched out mother boards, psu, cpu, and memory and nothing will power up. The power-supply fan will not even go on. I think its either a grounding issue or the switch is broken (The POW SW is in the correct spot according to the manual, and I have tried turning it around) and I think either way to fix this is by buying a new case, but i'd like to make sure it was the problem before spending money on it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    My computer has the same problem, you might take a look at my thread. The problem in my case is the power supply.

mtgoat suggested I test the PSU separately from everything else.
    mtgoat wrote:
    Pull the ATX connector from the mobo and get out a multi-meter. Then using a short piece of wire short the pin from the green wire and any black wire to start the PSU. I usually leave one fan attached to a molex to be sure and let me know it started. If it starts check the voltages w/ the multi-meter. It won't ake long to find out if it was the PSU Then keep your fingers crossed that it didn't take anything else with it!
    It wouldn't turn on, so I ordered a new PSU from newegg the other day. I should have it today! :)
  • edited June 2005
    Yeah I read your post, but i didnt know if you had gotten it resolved or not yet (and knew if that was the problem). The difference is we have changed out PSUs... I think the power button is either broken or there is something that isnt grounded, so its basically not the same problem (if your PSU was the problem)

But I appreciate the reply, thanks =)

edit: I know the PSU is good because it was previously working in another computer.
  • edited June 2005
    I'm leavin around lunch time (anytime from 11:30 -> 12:00 usually, its 10:00 here atm) and he's just gonna stop at compusa and buy a cheap case.. so if anyone can come up with something soon and save me money I'd be greatful :wtf:
  • edited June 2005
    Well I'm leaving soon so i'll come back and let you know if it fixed the problem for future references or problems like this.
    edited June 2005
    I'll find out in a few hours if it fixes my problem. The new PSU still hasn't gotten here yet.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2005
    eulo,
    I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! You can test whether it's the POW SW as you call it by just removing the wires from switch to the motherboard and carefully shorting the same 2 pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. BUT, before you do that, I would remove the MB from the case, put it on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard (like the box it came in) or wood, fit the processor, HSF, 1 stick of memory, the video card (connected to a monitor) and plug in the power supply connector(s) and then short the 2 power pins on the MB. If it powers up and shows a post screen or even boots to Windows, you know it's shorting in the case somewhere and then know where to start looking. If it doesn't power up then, you've got something else a little more troublesome going on like a bad power supply, processor, memory dimm, any number of issues.

Good Luck,

Flint
    edited June 2005
    Sorry I took so long, I was busy with other stuff. The new PSU fixed my problem. :thumbsup: