Dual Monitor with ATI X850 XT... DVI & AGP ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited June 2005 in Hardware
EDIT : Sorry for the title : i mean VGA, not AGP LoL ;D

Hi !

In the computer that i'll have in ~ ten days now i've chose a ATI X850 XT as video card. Great for gaming, but now i was asking mylself what i would do with my actual computer (amd thunderbird 1200 mhz... 4-5 years old... :mullet: )

Then i've been asking myself... maybe i could keep the HD for backup and use the screen to experiment dual screen display (play game on one and chat on the other one). My actual monitor is a Optiquest Q75 (VGA). The monitor on my new one will be a SAMSUNG LCD 915N (DVI i suppose, i've read that this screen have a 'lack of a DVI interface' but im not sure what this mean... don't every LCD screen is dvi ? )...

When i go read the specs of the X850 i've saw that yes it have 2 connector but i aslo saw this :

Single and dual link external TMDS transmitter support for high resolution and/or multi-monitor DVI configurations

Does this mean i won't be able to plug my optiquest ? Just asking that cuz if i can't i will probably begin to find someone who want a computer for some bucks (200 CND)... But i've see so many people with dual screen at my job with an old crappy one as second monitor so im hoping that my new high-tech one will accept these too :(

Anyone here can help me ? :confused:

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    Just get a adapter to convert it to analog and your all set :thumbsup:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The T and X series LCDs are the few from Samsung that have DVI. The N is just the narrow bezel, but a regular analog 15 pin input. For the X850, I can't imagine that if it's dual DVI that it wouldn't come with at least one dvi-vga adapter.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited June 2005
    Thank for the clue GrayFox... I did not know about a possible convertion between VGA and DVI signal (and vice-versa). The fact is that what i've been saying about 'Single and dual link external TMDS transmitter support for high resolution and/or multi-monitor DVI configurations' come from the ati web site specs about the X850...

Just in case i've search to see if the X850 XT from SAPPHIRE (the one that i've ordered) have these features too... Well, yes it have it... with something else in the package :

'Sapphire bundles DVI to HD-15 adapters as well, even with the OEM card which we tested, so you can use this card with multiple digital LCD's or analog CRT's'

An adapter seems to be include even with the OEM version (mine) ! :)

If it's the case i won't even have to buy one :thumbsup:

Thank you
    edited June 2005
    DanG, your right ! It comes with one !

Well, if my LCD monitor did not have a DVI input i'll buy one for my OPTIQUEST and take the one from my package for the 915N. But that considerably reduce the 'happyness' of my last post ;)
    edited June 2005
    Correction, i did not see the 'plurial' in the review, it realy come with 2 adapters so im completly happy now because in any case i won't have to buy anything ;D