Free email and Webspace provider ?

westyukwestyuk British born n bred!
edited June 2005 in Internet & Media
Im based in the UK and about 5 years ago I created my own personal website. I used LineOne which is now Tiscali and got free webspace. I then bought a domain and redirected to Tiscali address.

Ive been asked to do a small website for a friend and not want to use Tiscali as you can only upload via a specified phone number !!

Can anyone recommend a provider who gives away email adds and free webspace, im only after about 10Mb.

A UK based one would be preferable if anyone knows of a decent one :scratch:

Cheers

Comments

• SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    I used to use 50free.com until I got spywareshooter.com, .net, and .org. It's got 50MB, 999 subdomains, 10 email addresses (999 aliases allowed) and 500MB monthly bandwith. Plus you get 7 MYSQL databases and can use PHP for free. Right now the site is messed up, but keep an eye on it. The 50free.net server goes down a lot, but as long as you get your site hosted on the .org you're all set. I've never seen that one go down (until this unexpected deletion event happened).
  • edited June 2005
    westyuk wrote:
    Im based in the UK and about 5 years ago I created my own personal website. I used LineOne which is now Tiscali and got free webspace. I then bought a domain and redirected to Tiscali address.

Hi,

A could you tell me how you redirected your domain to the Tiscali address? I have searched their help pages without any success. I think I need to change my DNS server... but like I said, I'm clueless! :scratch:

Thanks
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2005
    For a couple bucks a month you can get hosting that doesn't go down or have stupid restrictions. Other than that, the only 'free' service that I would mention is to contact your ISP. Most of them offer a little web space that you can redirect to.

Hosting is sooo cheap, I can't see putting up with freehosts.
  • westyukwestyuk British born n bred!
    edited June 2005
    cosborn wrote:
    Hi,

A could you tell me how you redirected your domain to the Tiscali address? I have searched their help pages without any success. I think I need to change my DNS server... but like I said, I'm clueless! :scratch:

Thanks
    I registered a website domain name with www.123-reg.co.uk costs about £6 for 2 years hosting. Within the 123-reg website you login with your username and set up a redirect service. Anyone who types in your new web address will be redirected to the awful long lineone webaddress.

Eg. www.easyname.com -> http://website.lineone.net/~awful_longname

HTH :thumbsup: