Does the iPod support APE format files?

sforzasforza SPAIN
edited June 2005 in Internet & Media
Does the iPod support APE files?

This is a lossless compression format. The iPod supports AAC, MP3, WAV, etc, but officially APE is not listed.

APE is a great format because of saving space compared to wav, but with the same quality.

Is there any "hack" or mod to play APE files on the iPod without converting to WAV or MP3?

Thanks.

Comments

• AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    njkyle describes several steps to get those APE files to play in your iPod, but you will have to do some converting.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95640

I'm not sure if this helps or if it's the route you want to go. :confused:
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited June 2005
    It seems that he just wants to play those files in a Mac mini, he says nothing about iPod.

He is just converting from windows lossless format (APE) to Mac lossless format (ALAC). But I believe the iPod can't play these files. But I would be glad to hear that's true, because that would be the solution for me too.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I bought a Cowon iAudio M3 for the FLAC support. It's very easy to convert between APE and FLAC (at least it is on Linux, haven't tried in Windows) since both are open lossless formats. Additionally, APE isn't Windows-specific, the proper term for the format is Monkey's Audio format.

-drasnor :fold:
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited June 2005
    Thanks for your reply, drasnor.

The Cowon iAudio M3 looks very interesting. FLAC is not among the supported file types, according its website.
    Supports MP3, WMA, OGG, ASF, WAV files

EDIT: FLAC is added with a firmware upgrade.

Have you compared its sound quality to the iPod?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Not really, I don't have a basis for comparison. I've hooked my M3 up to the home theater and it sounds excellent. You'll have to turn off some of the default settings when you get it though, the bass boost is set rather high.

The inclusion of the dock, portable dock, and a nice pair of earbuds (from Cresyn) made the package pretty attractive. I got mine from Newegg.

-drasnor :fold: