Issue with ASUS board and Antec PS

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I'm building a system with an Antec SLK1650B case/PS and an ASUS K8N motherboard.

I'm almost done. My last step is to plug the 20-pin power lead into the motherboard.

It doesn't fit.

I've never seen this bofore, I always thought that those 20-pin sockets were standardized.

The problem is that the housing is not keyed properly.

The plastic housing that coveres the pins and sockets... some of them are square, and some of them are rounded off... well the wrong ones are rouned off.

Has anyone run into this bofore?

Comments

• bajbaj Barbados
    edited June 2005
    Ah hah, you'll need to get a new power supply. ATX power supplies carry a 20-pin motherboard connector, which is what you're used to. The new standard, which is dubbed EPS, or EPS12v (for 12 volts), uses a new 24-pin motherboard connector. A lot of new motherboards these days, especially the one you have, require the extra power provided by these power supplies. So unfortunately, you have no choice but to replace it.

Bear in ming though that the new EPS ATX PSUs are backwards compatible with the 20-pin connectors on the older motherboards. All you need is an adaptor. ;)

baj

Edit: Ok, i'll correct myself now... i just saw an image of the K8N and it seems like it has the 20-pin connector. Maybe it's your PSU that has the 24-pin connector? In which case, it may have come with the adaptor that i mentioned earlier. If not, then you pick up one for a couple dollars.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    I thought the 24-pin PSUs came with 20-pin adapters? Most new 20-pin PSUs should come with a 24-pin adapter too.

It sounds like this isn't your issue though. I've never seen that before, much less ever have to deal with it myself. Are you sure you're not trying to put it in backwards? ;D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I'm sure...

Here's the thing:

The mother board has a 20-pin connector AND a 4-pin connector.

The PS has a 4-pin, and 6-pin, and a 24-pin connector...

The 4-pin plug fits into the 4-pin socket just fine, but that's it...

Where would I get one of these adapters?...
    edited June 2005
    okay, I think I figured it out. I was looking more closely at the 24-pin plug, and I noticed a seam in in between the first 20 pins and the last four... I pulled, and it came apart... I plugged the now-20-pin plug into the 20-pin socket, and the original 4-pin connector (the newly broken off 4-pin connector doesn't fit) into the 4-pin socket...

I'm hoping that this is right :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    okay, I think I figured it out. I was looking more closely at the 24-pin plug, and I noticed a seam in in between the first 20 pins and the last four... I pulled, and it came apart... I plugged the now-20-pin plug into the 20-pin socket, and the original 4-pin connector (the newly broken off 4-pin connector doesn't fit) into the 4-pin socket...

I'm hoping that this is right :D
    That is correct. The extra 4 pins from the ATX will now be extra.

Is that the stock 350W PSU that came w/ the case? What model is on the PSU label as the last one of those I got had a 350SL (20 pin) in it?
    edited June 2005
    ja, it's the one that came with the case... It just says 'Antec 350w Smart Power' on it...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    ja, it's the one that came with the case... It just says 'Antec 350w Smart Power' on it...
    They must be putting the SP-350 in the cae now instead of the SL-350 that used to come in that case. You have a lot more 12V with that PSU as opposed to the SL. :D