help! My system crashed

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I recently installed Norton 2005, and once the installation completed, it had to restart my computer. When it was restarting, it says that windows cannot be loaded because there is a problem with \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I've tried the system restore cds that came with the computer, as well as the Windows XP startup disks, and they both freeze at the beginning of the process and won't let me go further...I must have done this 30 or 35 times with no luck. There are no files/programs on the computer which I need to save...can I just pull out the battery for more than 30 seconds? I'm not sure exactly what it does.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    No... taking out the battery will just clear the CMOS...

You need to reinstall windows. Start up the computer with the XP CD in the drive, and install as if on a new system...

if it's not booting from the CD drive, check the BIOS boot settings...
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks! What should the bios boot setting be?
  • edited June 2005
    It just stops and says fatal error...code 7, whatever that means!
    It either freezes or gives me errors.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    During boot up watch for a message that says; "press and y key to boot from cd"

If you don't see that you will need to make the cd the first boot device in bios.
  • edited June 2005
    yeah, it does say press any key to boot from cd, so that should be fine. But then after I press a key, it looks like it's going to start, but then it freezes up.