New IP Address

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Science & Tech
Anybody know how to force a Comcast cable modem to give you a new IP address? I'm experimenting with some online stuff, but I can't get a new IP address even when I power off the modem or force a release/renew via my router. I haven't done this in a while, but I remember in the past I had done this by just shutting power to the modem off. I guess I could ask for it from Comcast, but I'm just screwing around...

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    unplug the cable from the router, cycle power, and plug it back in?
  • edited June 2005
    if your router is managable, you can telnet into it and flush the dns cache, release the settings and so forth. is it a managable router?
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    The only way to get a new IP from Comcast is wait for the lease to run out, or use a different connection like USB/PCI card. Seeing you're using a router if you change the MAC address (if your router supports this feature) that may do the trick.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2005
    To get a new IP, you need to use a different mac address. Either plug something different into the modem directly, use a different router, or see if it can spoof the mac address inside your router settings.

This will get a new IP assigned to you.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    I don't know how cable goes, but my DSL modem pulls a new IP just by disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting in a few seconds.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I've tried powering both the router and the cable modem down, but I still have the same IP address. The router (Linksys WRT54GS) allows me to release and renew the IP address, but again when it comes back I have the same one.

I haven't tried taking the router out of the signal flow and powering everything off, but I will tonight.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    they have probably assigned you a static ip that won't change.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2005
    Comcast usually in almost all area's assigns their IP leases based on hardware MAC address. This is fairly normal for DHCP assignments.

Plug one system directly into the modem and power cycle the modem. You will have another IP when it comes back up. Also, you will probably get your old IP back once you reinstall your router.

Rebooting equipment will not usually get a new IP on Comcast.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That's what I figured. Would they give me a new IP if I just ask?
  • edited June 2005
    unless you were having some serious issues i doubt it. if its a networking issue, they will try to help you as much as possible.