PC keeps rebooting.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Yesterday I had to replace my C drive, install windows etc. All went well, reinstalled folding and it's been on all night with no problems. This morning I carried on installing stuff, game pad software etc. The last thing I installed was printer software which didn't install properly so I thought I'd reboot and do it again. Now the PC keeps rebooting, it gets to the windows screen with the blue progress bar then reboots. It does the same thing in last known good config and safe mode. It isn't temperature, case 35 degrees, CPU 40 degrees. I've checked all connections.
What can I do guys?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    I'm trying to run memtest. I have downloaded both versions (one at a time) and put it on a floppy. When I start the PC it just keeps telling me to remove the disk and press a key to reboot! It is set to boot from the floppy but it won't let me. Arghhhh.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Try another PSU? :scratch:
    edited June 2005
    I'm begining to suspect the new drive. I've unplugged everything, reseated the RAM and changed the drives cable. Then it came up boot disc failure. I redid the cable but now instead of rebooting it just hangs. The HDD light stays on permanantly. Does this sound like the drive?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That sounds more likely. Did you try running memtest with all the drives but the floppy disconnected? Try another HD and see what you get.
    edited June 2005
    I reconnected the old drive and got the error that made me change it. It's a differant fault so makes me think it is the new drive and nothing else in the PC. I am now reformatting the new drive. Maybe the dodgy printer software install killed windows, I hope. PCs? don't you love em?
    Cheers Mr goat. No, when I tried the floppy all the other drives were connected.
    edited June 2005
    Well I have formatted and reinstalled windows ok. The Epson software install that screwed up must have killed windows. Thanks for the help Mr Goat. :)
  • edited June 2005
    i'd boot it in safe mode, remove the printer driver or remains of the unsuccesful install off of hdd and out of registry. then see if it helps. also, check the event view while you are in there and see if it can log what is throwing it in an infinite loop.
    edited June 2005
    It wouldn't start in safe mode or in anything else. Although I thought it may have been the drive, I formatted and reinstalled XP. It seems ok now, it must have been the dodgy printer install.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    bothered,

You may still want to go to the HD's website and get the diagostics. Check the drive just to make sure.
    edited June 2005
    Cheers Donut, I'll do that.