Dial Up Cache Problem

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Just fixed a machine for a mate but now on dial up networking, it doesnt let you click "Save password" or "Dial Automatically" (as that only shows up when Save password is ticked" and if you go onto the properties for the connection you also cant change/enter the password there, its like password saving for dial up connections has been dissabled.

Machine is running WindowsME. "Format" or "Upgrade" are not an option.

Any ideas as I dont really want to fix one problem and create another one, especially when trying to build rep.

Cheers,
NS

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    You might want to nose around in "User" and security settings. I've been on broadband so long my modem skills are rusty.

My ME skills are not so hot, either.

Prof
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    User doesnt have anything as there are actually no accounts (remember on 9x you dont actually need an account on the machine). And security, well, its 9x, it doesnt have any >.<

NS
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    God its been a while, let me try and remember. If my memory serves me, go into the windows directory Not I cant remember if its a .pwl or an .acl file you are looking for. There should be one with the name of the user who is logged on. Delete this and re-boot.

Now, when your machine comes back up, you whould be shown with the login box, enter a password and confirm it on the next screen. Now you should be able to save the password.

This may not work as I cant remember exactly what to do as it has been over 3 years since I have had to do this. Try it and get back to me.
    edited June 2003
    Sent it on to him, though I doubt he will get it because when I was checking his PC he had 750 emails waiting on his POP server.

NS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Ahh the good ol days of dial-up.

I always had to go into Tools->Internet Options->Connections Tab->Highlight connection and click Settings button->Somewhere in here.

I dont have that anymore since I have cable but you can set it in there too.
    edited June 2003
    That just brings up the connection settings, the same as right clicking the dial up connection and clicking properties.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Would this work on a stand slone machine? - The networking is set to quick login instead of log into domain (in networking).

No - Someone installed a tweaking util and hid passwords or locked them. Xteq and TweakUI have some PW related tweaks.

No- The machine got virused-- ever seen a virus attack netowrking applets??? I have.

Already re-installed over the top, thats what seemed to cause it, machine didnt have an ME CD, just a castrated automated install in C:\.....\Cabs - I am giving them in rough order of likelihood. It IS possible(not a learner's thing, but quite doable) to destroy and scratch rebuild just networking if you have the Me CD handy and the box can find it or the CABS are on HD and you know where-- c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\options\cabs are good places to look or hide same. If install is legal, putting cabs on same box is legal too. The install CD then is your one legal backup.

NS
    edited June 2003
    ...tried deleting all dial-up connections, then restoring the proper one?

Prof
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, I had this on my own machine when using ME once before, cant remember how I fixed it, someone on IC told me.....

NS
    edited June 2003
    This is for 95 & 98, but might be worth a shot:

Save Passwords in DUN
    Have you always wanted to save your password in dial-up networking but wondered why the save password box was always "grayed-out?" Well it turns out that its not that hard to allow Windows 95 and 98 to automatically save your password, saving you a great deal of time and saving some memory cells to boot. The following procedure assumes that the reason that you can't save passwords is the most common reason (about 99% of all the cases are due to this setup error) so if it doesn't fix your save password problem, I suggest that you post a question on the Windows 9x forum or get a software utility such as DUNCE.

Step one. The first thing that you need to do is click on the start button and open up the control panels. If Windows 98 tells you that you shouldn't use the control panels unless you know what you are doing, click ok to show the control panels.
    Screenshot of above step

Step two. Now that you have the control panels open, double click on the control panel called Network.
    Screenshot of above step

Step three. In Network, the first thing that you want to do is make sure that your primary network logon is set to "Windows Logon" and not something else.
    Screenshot of above step

Step four. Next you need to add the Client for Microsoft Networks. To do this click on the add button and then select clients. Next choose the Microsoft option and double click on Client for Microsoft Networks. Note: at this time Windows will most likely prompt you for the CD-ROM.
    Screenshot of above step (1)
    Screenshot of above step (2)

Step five. Click OK and when it asks you if you want to restart your computer click yes.

Now you should be able to check save password. If you are wondering why the "Network Neighborhood" icon is now on your desktop and it wasn't before, it is because of what you just did. Getting it off without removing the save password option is difficult so I recommend you just leave it there (if you ever get a network it will come in handy). If you really want to get it off, you can use a Microsoft PowerToy called TweakUI to remove the icon from the desktop. In order to find TweakUI, simply do a search at the software search section of Computing.Net.
    Justin Weber

Prof
    edited June 2003
    jdii1215 said
    Well, with some ISPs that use PPPoE for dialup, the networking on ME and 98 SE acts like it is in an NT domain in part. And, the cabs should have base networking in them. So, to a ME box, the dialup means it is on a network domain under some circumstances, and telling it family login precludes it having any internet capability. Running both gets you confusion.

Look at networking, see if there is a dialup adapter. If not, add client for Microsoft networking and a dialupm adapter. Make sure the modem drivers are correct for the modem. This box is acting like it knows dialup networking is fragged. If no viruses or tweak utils were ever used-- they mod the registry-- then this is a networking problem.

Do you know if his dialup connect needs DHCP also???

John Danielson.

Beat me by ONE minute.:D

@#&amp;%!@# Google!

Prof
    edited June 2003
    That would probably work, ill have to tell him that too, lol.

[Edit: No wait, I alreay did that when I was round there :( ]

NS
    edited June 2003
    I have repeatedly removed everything from networking and added the right things back, but it just didnt seem to help. Strange that microsoft removed the addapters thing so you have to use add/remove windows components to add the dial up adapter.

NS
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737 said
    I have repeatedly removed everything from networking and added the right things back, but it just didnt seem to help. Strange that microsoft removed the addapters thing so you have to use add/remove windows components to add the dial up adapter.

NS

My memory is foggy on this, but can't you add a Dial-Up Adaptor in "Add New Hardware"

Forgive me if I'm confused.
    (More than usual, that is);)

Prof
    edited June 2003
    I think you can actually but still, that wouldnt help.

NS
    edited June 2003
    ...boot up in safe mode and see if you have stray extra's in the networking category?

Prof
    (Grasping at straws):confused:
    edited June 2003
    Bah, Ill have to leave it till I am round there again, cant do that from here, cheers any way all.

NS
    edited June 2003
    NightShade,

Any news yet? Did it work?
    edited June 2003
    Im going to have to wait till my parents get back from Spain as there is no way I am biking back up there again, its an insane route, and I dont want to get him to try it himself.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Did he try the simple deleting the .pwl file. I dont think he could get that one wrong. Then if it works you dont have to go back up there.:D
    edited June 2003
    He hasnt got back to me yet, he must be busy.

NS
    edited June 2003
    No worries, let us know when he does.
  • El-CheapoEl-Cheapo Central California
    edited June 2003
    necropolis_uk is right-without any user accounts,the machine assumes it's a different user everytime a password is reqired,so it won't save them-if it did,anyone could sit down at your machine,connect to the internet(on your account),and check out all your "stuff":eek:
    All that needs to be done is to create a user account,this solves it-

ec
    edited June 2003
    Finally, someone who agrees with me. Its been that long since I used 98 that I couldnt remember if I was right or not. Thanks for confirming that.
    edited June 2003
    That cant be right as a user account has never existed and it worked before, but out of interest I tried it when I was first there and making and using a user account still didnt cache the passwords.

NS
  • El-CheapoEl-Cheapo Central California
    edited June 2003
    Sorry if I misled you-The exact same thing happened on my wife's ME machine after a fresh install,and creating a user account fixed it.
    One more place to check-Control Panel/Passwords/User Profiles--make sure "Users can customize Prefrences"is checked,as well as both boxes in "User Prefrences".
    If that doesn't get it,I dunno.....

ec